General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Morning Georgia (and the rest of the world!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
RKH
Default Good Morning Georgia (and the rest of the world!)

Just purchased my first Accord as a surprise Christmas gift for my 17 year old daughter. It's a 1997 Accord SE, $2,500, at an estate sale. It has 135K miles and really was owned by a little old lady. Body and finish are nearly perfect (small 1" scratch on front bumper). Inside is very good, though the carpets need cleaned (spilled coffee/cola on passenger side). Starts and runs well. Unfortunately there is not any maintenance records (yet - her son will look around for them).

I took it to my mechanic - here's the list of items found in his inspection.
  • Fluid dark, a few particles. Shifts "firmly". Recommended drain/refill fluid.
  • Muffler and exhaust had rust holes. Replace muffler and 1' of exhaust pipe.
  • Battery tests bad, but still starts ok.
  • Glove box light stays on (door out of alignment).
  • Timing belt - unknown - there is a leak (not bad) of some oil/fluid behind timing cover.
  • Front brakes are @5mm - not urgent, but will need replaced soon.
  • Rear brakes - need adjustment and cleaning
  • Rack and Pinion leaking fluid - not urgent. Recommended doing nothing for now. Will keep an eye on it.
  • Usual wiper blades, oil change, and air filter.
A couple of questions. Are all of these items (especially the trans fluid and leaks) common to this Accord. Also, what am I looking at $$-wise now to get these fixed.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Welcome to HAF! I moved your post for better responses to your questions.

ATF - Agree that trans fluid should be drained and replaced w/ Honda ATF. By consensus, this fluid is highly recommended. Some drain/refill 2-3 times to dilute torque converter volume that can't be drained.

Replace battery before it leaves her stranded somewhere.

Glove box light - remove bulb. The glove box door tends to warp w/ age. It might be possible to shim the light switch keep switch open w/ door closed.

Timing Belt - No way that anyone has found to know if it's been replaced. Given mileage, I would bet not. If you can't confirm belt was changed at 90K miles, then you'll need to replace. It's about a $500-$700 job. Mid-level DIY effort. Not a first diy job. Leaks behind timing belt are common; rear balance shaft cover oring seal is a notorious leaker at your age. Less common are forward balance shaft seal, camshaft seal, and crankshaft seal. Water pump should be replaced w/ timing belt. Valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets should also be replaced.

rack & pinion - Try a bottle of Lucas PS Leak Seal. This stuff will seal some leaks.

good luck

Old 12-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ Heck good suggestions; my $.02 below:

You're like me, I bought kids cheap cars ($1200, $300, $900) because I want them to learn how to appreciate each upgrade as they grow and buy their own.
Manual tranny for my kids, 'cuz I want them to learn how to drive one - and they love it.
They still have the $300 and $900 ones, BTW.

*Also, similar to you - got my first AT ('97) in Oct. this year, but not for a kid.

*did a drain and fill on '97 AT twice on buy date, with 10 minute drive between. each takes exactly 2.5 qts.
It shifted firmly before and after the two drain/fills. Magnetic drain plug will have gunk on it - don't fret.
I'd never serviced an AT before, am 5 spd tranny guy, but 'tis straightforward.
Maybe buy the ramps and a long necked funnel and show daughter how to do it ... oil change too?

*Suggest same 'show me' approach to the front brake pads, next summer.

*Battery - I'd have my daughter drive it till spring before replacing battery, as long as it starts car.
Usually they would would say, 'It's starting pretty slow' before the battery actually fails.
But I'm a trusting guy, with sons, in a safe small town area ... downtown Atlanta? - xnay.
ALSO - I always drove the cars myself for 3 weeks first, as my daily transport vehicle.

*Timing belt? I'd contact the local Honda dealer with license plate # and see if they have a record.
If not, I'd still wait till spring to make sure the car fits your family; bet it will.

Welcome

Last edited by UhOh; 12-02-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 AM
RKH

TexasHonda and UhOh- thanks for the advice. I went ahead and had my mechanic (I have NO experience working on cars, computers yes, but not cars) drain and refill the AT with Honda fluid, put in a new battery (with winter coming, and her working nights, I'd rather not take a chance), adjusted the rear brakes, oil change, new air filter, wiper blades, shim'd the glove compartment, new muffler and part of exhaust pipe, etc.

Now for the twist - a couple of hours after I gave to go-ahead for the work I was notified that I have to return the car to the guy I got it from. (insert minor heart attack here...) It was part of an estate sale and his lawyer informed him that he has to retain physical possession until his mom's will goes through probate. Hopefully this will be done next week and I'll get it back then. He's a friend of my father so I'm not too worried. It will also give him more time to search for any maintenance records related to the car.

TexasHonda - I appreciate the info on the timing belt and related stuff. I'm hoping the guy finds some records, even it it's just the name of who worked on the car. I'll add the Lucas PS additive once I get the car back.

Uhoh - Great idea on contacting the dealers. If I can't get an answer on the timing belt then I'll get it changed before Christmas.

On the plus side my daughter took it out to practice parallel parking. She loved it! It's a surprise Christmas present. We told her it was her grandmother's car and we had to get it back to her this weekend for work.

I expect to have to get the front brakes pads replaced in a few months - they're at 5mm now (mechanic described that as the "yellow zone", with 3mm being "red".) He mentioned that the rotor/hub design is "special" and require more work to remove them. True?

Also, are there any common issues that I should keep an eye out for for this model year (97) / and/or mileage (135K) ? Thanks!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'd hang onto the bill for the work done........

Yea these are the hub over rotor (HOR) design which are a PIA to change rotors....just pads no issue.

IMO, this gen is pretty solid. Keep up with reg maint items and it will last forever.....no real "common issues" to be worried about.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rotors

RKH, I am right in the middle of doing the brakes on my 96 Accord, and it's true - they are of special design and called "captive rotors".

If the rotors need to be turned at the time the brake job is going to be done, I am told that the Honda dealer has the ability to turn the rotors still installed on the car even. I have no idea what price that is but maybe not too bad instead of having the rotors pulled off and replaced or something.

I recently pulled mine all apart because they were warped and vibrating, and when I brought them in to the local Car Quest to have them turned the guys there stared at the rotors like they were from another planet and said they didn't think they would be able to turn them. They were darn near down to the limit anyway, so I bought new ones for about $35 a piece.

Good luck with the car, sounds like a great deal!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
RKH

Thanks to all for the replys. Interesting story...

It's been 10 weeks since I originally posted, and I finally got the car today. Probate took way too long.... Good news is that he found some old maintenance records from 2002 - 2004. Looks like all the work was done at the dealership (now closed).

Best news is that I have the receipt for the timing belt change @ 104K. However, after reading the maintenance schedule, I see it calls for replacing the timing belt @ 7 years (which is now). My question is - given that there's been less than 40K since the belt change - does it make sense to replace now?

Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Personal call. Most folks go strictly by mileage, but the time is also an element in belt deterioation; heat, ozone, cyclic loading of use.

good luck

Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM

Here's how I see it: 7 years from now (when the timing belt change is due again), your daughter will likely have a new car anyway. So why not just change it now, this way you know your daughter will be driving a car with a new belt the whole time.

Pay and reap the benefits of doing it now, or wait till later? Since this car ain't going to be around much longer, just do it now so you can reap the benefits right away.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Personal call. Most folks go strictly by mileage,
Yep, TB, 'twill be OK. Put money into cookie jar. since
you're very security oriented, buy a family AAA membership.
... lock-out service, gas, towing plus travel maps.