General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gremlins in my 92 Accord

Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Default Gremlins in my 92 Accord

I have a 92 Accord dx that for several months I have been driving and shifting manually, I know it needs a TCU or I thought I knew, yesterday it spontaneously began shifting on its own as it should. then this morning it decided not to shift out of second at all apparently. I have had the fluid drained out in an attempt to get it at least back where it was, It needed it badly, I have had it since June and I know that it set up in a barn for at least three years before I got it, I am looking for any hints as to what I should be looking for to fix. I have had all the possible answers but never the same answer twice. My husband is a small engine mechanic but we have little experience with the electronic brain controlling my transmission. BTW it does not go onto reverse ever and make a sickening noise if shifted into reverse. Any tips or hints will be appreciated I have looked all over the internet and even acquired the service manual for the car and the transmission both. oh and yes, the D4 light stays on constantly except when it shifted automatically, but someone at some time has cut off the whatsis under the dash for reading the codes. Starting to get desperate.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Really need to get the codes. If they cut the connector off, all you need to do is connect the two wires together, then read the codes.....get any that come up, either from the CEL, D4/S light.

You can test the shift solenoids and might as well pull them and clean while there.

Some good reading about trans issues can be found here : Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.