General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise in Reverse, and sometimes when coasting

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Default Grinding noise in Reverse, and sometimes when coasting

Hi to all;

I have a 1997 Accord EX coupe, a bit over 115k Miles on it. I got it used about a year ago, and have had no mechanical problems until now. Recently, I've had problems with a grinding/ratcheting sound SOMETIMES when I'm reversing--when the car is actually moving that is, not just due to the act of shifting into reverse. This same noise happens--again, only sometimes--when I coast--with my foot off the gas pedal, I hear it for a few seconds.

The transmission fluid is OK for level, and doesn't smell bad or look black; the oil is up to date and level is good. I was thinking it was a CV problem, but this really sounds and FEELS like it's coming from a central location--not from a wheel-area, in other words.

There is also a slight burning smell after a 1/2 hour-or-so trip, that does NOT seem to come from under the hood, or from a specific wheel well. There's no smoke, no warning lights, no other weird things. The parking brake is definitely off, but could it be "stuck" partially on, somehow?

I really want to avoid an expensive diagnostic trip to the garage if this is something I could check into myself, but I've seen no helpful advice for this specific thing on any online forum.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

RW

Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default i replied this to a later thread but maybe it will help??

i have the same exact problem and working on getting a new transmission. i replaced my half shaft and wasn't it. Half shafts are hard to find. i have the one i bought off eBay and took it back off cause it didn't fix the problem.if you would like to go that route first let me know and ill put it up on eBay just so u know its legit. but i wouldn't waste your money. i go to school a the University of Northwestern Ohio for automotive and alternate fuels.i asked a transmission teacher what he thought about my problem and he said the input shaft bearings are bad. he dont know if its the front, back or both bearings for the input shaft. it seemed to be cheaper to replace tranny than replace bearings and have the tools to do it. but i know exactly what your going through i also bought my car like this. sorry and good luck. to you (im not sure about your 97 it kinda sounds like the very beginning/early stages of this problem.) not trying to come out with the worst news. just thought you should keep it in mind. looking through this forum, it seems like the 94 - 97 2.2l transmissions are notorious for input shaft bearing problems. Good luck

Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM

Did you ever figure out the actual problem? I have the exact issue to a T 96' Accord automatic transmission