General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding while turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default grinding while turning

the other day when turning i heard a grinding noise. when i got home i checked the power steering fluid level and it was just below the min. i let it cool and filled it up to max, but the noise is still there. the fact that i had an open bottle of the ps fluid on hand tells me i've had to do this before. i vaguely remember filling the fluid back up and the noise going away a year or so ago.

so i guess that means i have a leak that should be fixed, but has the pump been damaged by the low fluid level?

thanks.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

If it was just a bit below the line, I'd expect it to be OK. The bottom line is still well above the suction hose.

Does it grind only when the steering is moving? If it grinds during the time when the steering wheel isn't moving, then maybe look at brakes or axles.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

that's a relief about the ps pump.

i will have to look at it more closely tonight and let you know if it only happens when the steering wheel is moving.

but based on your comment, i may have some more relevant information.

1. a couple weeks back i had to have the brake lines replaced. one of them had rusted out and all the fluid leaked out. when i got the car back, i did notice a scraping sound. i took it back to the mechanic and he said that it was rust built up from the brakes not working. he then sanded down the pads and rotor on the non-functioning brake and the noise went away. when i checked my ps fluid i also checked the brake fluid and its level was fine.

2. a year or two ago, i replaced the front passenger side half axle with an aftermarket one. no noises after i replaced it.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Shifting suspicion to the brakes...
There may be something STILL not right with the brakes. Like maybe sticking caliper slide pins or something like that.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, i just looked at the car. i have seen the problem occur when

1. the car was in park and i turned the steering wheel back and forth
2. the car was in reverse but i had the brakes on so wasn't moving and turning wheel
3. i was turning while driving with and without the brakes depressed.

sometimes there is a pop sound followed by a creaking like an old door. it seems to happen more when i turn it to the right. it happens when i turn left if it has already been turned right. the problem is intermittent so didn't do it every time so it is hard to say for sure it only happens to the right.

i can hear the rotor scraping a little when i turn the wheel while driving and is speed dependent, but that isn't the sound i am talking about. i'm just putting it out there in case the two are related.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

CV joint or one of the ball joints on the tie rod.

Try to pinpoint the location of the noise (pass or driver's side).

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i had my wife turn the steering wheel and i listened to both front wheels. the sound seemed louder on the driver side. i won't be able to put the car up and look at it for a couple weeks. i have to go to a friend;s house to work on it and he will be out of town. i'm just trying to figure out ahead of time what to look for. so i will definitely be checking out the CV joints, ball joints and brakes. anything else it could be?

also, since i won't be able to fix it for a little while, is it safe to drive it until then?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok, so i'm finally going to get a a chance to look at it this week. what's the best way to check the CV and ball joints? i know to check to see if the boots are cracked and the grease leaked out, but is there anything else i should try?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you hear the noise while car is NOT MOVING,,( park or brakes applied ) do not waste ur time checking the cv joint , ,,,,,i would be very ,very surprised if it turns out to be it..

chk frt suspension components for looseness or wear , also the p/s rack mounting bolts, bushings,

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I was able to get under the car to have a look yesterday. I discovered that the popping sound was the steering gear boots. they both broke off at the hose clamp near the outer tie rod. so when the wheel was turned a certain distance they popped off.

While the car was up, I couldn't get it to make the creaking sound and I couldn't find any other problem under the car with the joints and bushings. Any idea what this sound would be and if I should expect it to go away when I change the boots?

There was also p/s fluid under the car on both sides.

thanks.

Quick Reply: grinding while turning