General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hairline crack in distributor part

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

yes, the sensor in distributor is a small coil of wire.

good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
yes, the sensor in distributor is a small coil of wire.
So you're referring to the crack I mentioned I noticed on the sensor in the distributor? Separate to the discussion of my (apparently) bad ignition coil? Sorry but I'm not following the correlation, if there is one.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM

There is no correlation. This is unlikely related to your problem.

good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM

There is no correlation. This is unlikely related to your problem.
Texas, I'm still not certain what you are saying is unlikely related to my problem. I know I began this thread with the title of "hairline crack distributor part" asking about the possibility of whether that could be the cause of my problem. Later, in the more recent posts, the discussion drifted to instead become focused on the testing of my ignition coil and whether it is bad and thus the cause of my problem.
So, would be I be correct at this point to understand that you're saying the cracked sensor in my distributor (the small coil of wire; no correlation to my ignition coil) is what is unlikely related to my problem? A yes or no answer to that question should clear up my confusion/uncertainty about this, if you don't mind. And thanks again.

Last edited by sgull; 03-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Risk of sticking my nose in & guessing what Tex means...

Sounds to me like you're already measured a bad ignition coil. But maybe the crack in the timing sensor (in the distributor) is also a problem and therefore a new coil might be necessary but you will still have the other problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sounds to me like you're already measured a bad ignition coil. But maybe the crack in the timing sensor (in the distributor) is also a problem and therefore a new coil might be necessary but you will still have the other problem.
Oh okay I see. And Tex was just saying I could measure coil resistance of the sensor, if was so inclined, and compare to specs. thanks
If a new coil fixes my problem, I'll probably just go ahead and just replace the distributor to avoid further problems arising from that cracked sensor in it. Also, is it all common for those sensors to develop cracks in them? I wonder what the heck caused it to crack anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 AM

What you're seeing is a molded plastic cover. They harden w/ age/heat and develop shrinkage cracks. You could apply a bit of silicone RTV, but unless you get a code for that coil, I don't think you'll have problems.

Finally figured a way to print reduced size pdf file. Enclosed is image of ignition coil circuit from 1994 Accord manual.

good luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
accordcoil.pdf (9.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:17 AM

unless you get a code for that coil, I don't think you'll have problems. Enclosed is image of ignition coil circuit from 1994 Accord manual.
Good to hear; I won't worry much about that sensor right now anyway then. Yeah, it'd be kind of interesting to see a diagram of the ignition coil circuit from my '92 also. I suppose the assumption would be it'd likely be the same as the '94, but apparently/maybe not.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I thought he had measured an open-circuit on the coil, where there should've been some finite resistance. Probably I'm confused about which terminals were measured, etc.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM

Terminal D must be strictly a test port on the coil. It is not documented in the 94 manual I have. Your picture does not show a D location on the coil. That A-D resistance spec appears no where in Honda manual. No combination of series or parallel of primary and secondary could account for that resistance.
I took a close look at the primary connector where the four A,B,C, and D terminals plug into. The receptacle for the D terminal has no metal terminal clip (or whatever those are called) on the inside like the other three. So yes, no wire from that terminal to anywhere, apparently just a test port, as you said.