General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Has your MAP sensor failed? If so, at what mileage? Should I clean the MAP sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Are you okay with needing to junk the car or replace the engine? If so, then by all means don't bother replacing the timing belt. Even though my old Accord had north of 200,000 miles on the clock, I opted to replace the belt.
Hmmm. Well, I looked at the money situation. I'm not sure if I get a fair trade off. I thought maybe I could get maybe little more mileage with my car with some risk. But there is a lot of old parts in the car that if they go wrong and add up at the same time. Maybe.
For example: Although, I was able to do a lot of research to fix weird stuff for some reason a mechanic didn't want to do (another but longer power steering line). Although, I find out, it just seemed it was very possible (bending power steerling with flare tube bolt). Maybe mechanics don't want to do custom work. Although, a power steering line. It doesn't seem like custom work to me.
Because I had one mechanic do the easiest line possible. Because it was a power steering line that was bigger and very shorter.

The next power steering line went. That was to the power steering pump itself and the new part was available. But they wanted $350. I opted out and just got the part and got a little help with that. The third I finally got lucky and found a used power steering line part there was no new part.

I just wanted to give those as an example of why someone may think it's not wise to keep a older car for longer. The point is, I did some suspension work on the car myself. Inner and outer tie rods, some upper ball joints. (Have not did lower ball joints yet, they seem to be stiff and work good. Did one cv axle.

I once let a mechanic do the brake work. He did the wheeling bearing even. That cost $700.

So maybe it's not worth a $1000 risk to do a timing belt?

As far as the engine goes, I don't think I would go that far to have a engine rebuilt. For some reason I thought you met opted out. So you did the timing belt anyways at that mileage? I have been told the timing belt was done two times on the car. But don't know when the last time it was done.

Old 10-05-2023, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

@75Gremlin, what year, model, and engine do you have in your car?

Old 10-13-2023, 08:56 AM

This might be a stupid question but about the " AISIN TKH-007 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump" Those don't include the Camshaft and Crankshaft seals right? I see the two tensioners. Camshaft Belt Tensioner and Balance Shaft Tensioner? Is that right? Are not those the seals that are to be replaced?

Old 10-13-2023, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think seals are included. I can't remember your vehicle information exactly, but it is a 90-97 accord. Putting into your signature will help.

There are 4 seals that I replaced on my 95 accord when I did the timing belt. The camshaft, crankshaft, and front balance shaft seals. Also the rear balance shaft casing o-ring. You should also get the front balance shaft seal retainer (~$10-$20), This was a recall on 90-97 accords a long time ago, so your accord may already have it, but I'd have on hand to install if it is missing.

I also recommend purchasing from ericthecarguy.com vmanual for the 90-97 F-series engine. It's $15 and worth every penny. It is a 90-minute step by step video to replace the timing belt on your engine (if you have a 2.2L engine in the 90-97 accords). It will cover everything or almost everything in doing this repair.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I don't think seals are included. I can't remember your vehicle information exactly, but it is a 90-97 accord. Putting into your signature will help.

There are 4 seals that I replaced on my 95 accord when I did the timing belt. The camshaft, crankshaft, and front balance shaft seals. Also the rear balance shaft casing o-ring. You should also get the front balance shaft seal retainer (~$10-$20), This was a recall on 90-97 accords a long time ago, so your accord may already have it, but I'd have on hand to install if it is missing.

I also recommend purchasing from ericthecarguy.com vmanual for the 90-97 F-series engine. It's $15 and worth every penny. It is a 90-minute step by step video to replace the timing belt on your engine (if you have a 2.2L engine in the 90-97 accords). It will cover everything or almost everything in doing this repair.
Thanks that makes sense. Since there is a little bit of a oil leak (a small drop from time to time near the timing belt area). I want to make sure that some of those seals are replaced. Vmanual. From Eric the Car Guy. I will check into this. Sounds like a higher quality video than I'm seeing on the youtube videos. Yeah, mine is a 1993 Honda accord auto LX. I think I will put it in the signature.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:26 AM

Sorry for the late reply. 2004, EX, 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, 247k miles.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 75Gremlin
Sorry for the late reply. 2004, EX, 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, 247k miles.
If the car is in otherwise good shape, then it is certainly worth the investment to replace the timing belt.

Old 10-17-2023, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Starting in 2003, the 4-cylinder accord had a timing chain, so no maintenance interval. I'd replace only if you get the camshaft/crankshaft out of phase engine code.