General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Default have a problem

first hi im new, i have a problem lol

i just bought a 93 accord ex with an auto for $300 cuz it wont start, i have googled the problem and still cant figure this out, one post said the ecu groud wire, or a solder problem with the main relay? and im new to hondas too lol

anyways i put my ear to the tank and i hear the fuel pump turn on, i pulled the #4 plug and i got spark from it but havent done the rest yet.. i sprayed starting fluid into the throttle with it wide open and it wouldnt start..

and i do have a 1990 ex 5 speed that runs and drives if i need to use some parts to test on the 93..

any suggestions?? thanks alot

Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a timing light, hook it up to each cylinder. Make sure that the spark plugs are on the distributor in the proper order.

Sounds like your MFR is working, since you heard the fuel pump kick on. Starting fluid should cause the car to run for a second when you try to start. Does the engine smell like gasoline when you repeatedly attempt to start?

Old 08-23-2009, 03:29 PM

no i dont smell any gas, i was gunna do the codes but there is no light on the ecu like my 90? any tips on doing that?? um i sprayed starter fluid in it again and it tried to start just stuttered for a split second and thats all i have gotten from it.. i read somewhere that the 94's wont start if the fuel filter is bad.. so maybe i should try that too..??

Old 08-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Agree that testing spark w/ a timing light will confirm spark is OK.

To crudely check fuel pressure turn keyswitch on for 5 secs, then off. Now crack the bleeder bolt on the fuel rail or banjo bolt connecting fuel supply to fuel rail. You should get a big spray of fuel. If you get nothing or a dribble, fuel pressure is not adequate, and blocked fuel filter or fuel pump inlet screen is likely, if you confirm fuel pump is running every time when keyswitch is turned to On.

good luck

Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 PM

yeah i started it 4 - 5 times and i even had someone else listen too cuz the fan comes on too for some reason.. havent done the timing light yet but ill do it tomorrow cuz i gotta go dig it out of the basement lol and ill go do the fuel thing now! thanks for the tips, umm any tips on the trouble codes?? i cant seem to figure out what is supposed to blink? the cel dont.. lol

Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 PM

well i got bored and dug up the ol timing light.. lol.. only cyl 2(2nd from the driver side) would flash it.. so coil? main relay? i have no clue.. maybe a nice tune up im gunna check the cap and rotor... right now too just for s's and g's

Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Short the service connector with a thin paper clip. The connector is behind kick panel on passenger side of cabin. Then you count the CEL light flashing.

See OBD trouble codes in the DIY forum for instructions.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM

yeah it never flashed lol, well i pulled the cap and it was covered in dirt and oil so im 98% sure its that... the rotor was half blackened too... i was gunna swap the cap from the 90 but diff coil setup so i cant lol.. thanks guys if the cap/rotor dont do the trick ill come back you guys rock!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM

hey guy's, well i bought all new tune up and it purrs like a honda lol, but when i started driving it it was shifting fine for about 5 minutes then it would just like slip real bad or just go in nuetral or something i dont know the car just would not move just rev, then i shut it off and right back on it was fine for about 5 minutes then it did it again, this happened about 6 times before i got home... all i can think is shift solenoid ??? any thoughts?? thanks

Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is D4 light flashing?

Even if no D4 light flashing, check for trans codes by shorting service check connector and reading flashes of D4 light; long flash=10 and short flash=1 so F-ffff = 14.

good luck

Quick Reply: have a problem