General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haven't a clue whats wrong w/ my Honda (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Site Jester
Unregistered
Default Haven't a clue whats wrong w/ my Honda (HELP)

First I would like to say .. WHAT A SWEET PLACE ... I have been a guest for a while now and finally singed up b/c I have a problem w/my car ...

Ok Its a 89 Honda accord LXI bone stock..

Problem ....

The tac. will flutter from 1000 rpm tp 6000rpm.. (engine doesn't rev tho) ..Its just the tac. that is twitching... Also at the same time the lights will come up then go back down on their own .. Also while its doing this the engine runs rough.. I shut the car of then restart . it WONT do it. But soon it starts up again.. Any idea's what it could be .. Any help would be awesome!!!! Thanks in advance

Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Haven't a clue whats wrong w/ my Honda (HELP)

It's good to have you as a member SJ!!! Please put the car info in a signature. This sounds like a distributor, coil and/or sensor issue. Look through the threads on these to see if you can find something similar to your problem. When you add a signature, the techs will start to chime in also.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM

Could be an alternator issue as well, but I kind of doubt it. Ignition issue (as Falkoresaid)sounds more like it.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 PM

falkore might be correct on the distr or coil issue BUT that would be on the tech and runnubility issue ,, I am not sure how the headlites coming on and off relate to that..
I know that headlites and tech share the same ground , ( under left side dash , rt side of stweering wheel ) , but i honestly cannot see that being the issue ,
make sure that the connections are tight at coil, especially the blue ( tach ) wire ,,,but even if it was loose it should not make engine run rough ..
This might be a case where a tech has to get his ( her ) hands into it .but chk what we adviced and let us know ..
by the way do you have any pac rats issue where you live ?? chewing up wires ?? anyone done any work under dash ? close to ignition switch >??

Old 09-26-2007, 05:14 PM

The battery could be on it's last leg and the engine burp could cause a brownout from the alt not spinning right ..... other than that, the headlight issue doesn't really fit. Maybe grounding, alternator and/or the alt to battery hot lead.

A big 3 upgrade would eliminate the grounding and hot lead ideas and for 30 bucks, could be worth a shot.
I'd also unplug the battery with the car running to test the alternator.
DH has tests posted for the coil, distributor and ignighter.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 PM

I have seen bad charging systems ( battery, altern ) do some really weird , unexplainable stuff ,, I would not put it totally out my mind that it could cause something like this ..

Old 09-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Jester
Unregistered

Thanks for all the help ...

I will make sure all the connections are tight and or nor frayed or anything ..
The steering column was replaced like 2 years ago (b/c it was stolen)
but it had never done this sence yesterday ..

I will have a look at that ground under the steering wheel ...
also I will check the battery and alt... . its just weird that the engine ran like crap when it was doing that ... check engine light never came on or anything...

I drove the car today . and it ran fine .. so hopefully it's something minor ..
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Since it goes back to normal, I expect that the coil or igniter is broken.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Site Jester
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Since it goes back to normal, I expect that the coil or igniter is broken.
ok what the heck is the igniter.. LOL sorry . I am not used to these kind of cars .. camaro and firebirds are more my thing.. so would that cause the headlights to tweak out ?

Thanks again for the reply

Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

I have seen bad charging systems ( battery, altern ) do some really weird , unexplainable stuff ,, I would not put it totally out my mind that it could cause something like this ..

That's why I suggested alternator. I don't see a bad igniter causing the healdights to malfunction. Alternator, yes....igniter, no way.
The igniter is inside the distributor. It has to do with ignition/spark At least it is on most Accords. I am not too familiar with the 3rd gens though.

Quick Reply: Haven't a clue whats wrong w/ my Honda (HELP)