General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Fogged Up. Replacement Necessary? Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Default Headlight Fogged Up. Replacement Necessary? Need Advice!

Hello Accord enthusiasts much like myself!

First things first, I'd like to start by introducing my car. It's a stunning pearl white 08 Honda Accord EX (2.4L L4). In my opinion, which I'm sure most of you would agree with, Honda's have always been reliable automobiles. In fact, I used to drive a 94 Accord for 10 years, and the only major problem that I was ever faced with was an occasional flat tire. These things are just built to last!

Anyways, long story short, I noticed the other day that my driver side headlight appears opaque, and almost foggy. Upon taking a closer look at it I noticed a tiny fracture running vertically from the base of the light (about half an inch in length). Could this fracture have let some moisture in the light assembly? If so, is replacing the light my only option? I've done some looking around online and have found two vendors that I may possibly buy from. However, being the amateur online shopper that I am, I can't differentiate between a good deal and a bad one. Of the following two vendors, which should I go with?

http://www.rapidautoparts.com/produc...ull%20Assembly

or

http://www.autolightcenter.com/honda...s.html#MzA1MTk

?? Thanks. (Please excuse my amateur-ish ways!)

Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Before you throw the money at a new assy, you might try some clear silicone on the crack, then remove the bulb.......swipe your wife/girlfriends blow dryer, let it blow into the assy until it is all dryed out...then see what happens.
I've resealed many lenses when I was in the used car dept.
Some times you just have to get the assy out and seal around the lense with silicone, then after it dries overnight put the assy back in the car. Same amount of work as replacing the unit, but minus the cost.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

A crack could let moisture in and cause your problem.

I am a fan of junkyard parts, especially U-Pull-It placed. You will get a honda part for a lower price. Just inspect the headlight before you buy it.

Or you can try to repair like Hondadude suggested.