General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headliner replacement broke interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
mrm
Default headliner replacement broke interior lights

The fallen headliner in my 2006 Honda Accord SE was replaced by a trim shop. Since then, all of the interior lights are out. I checked the fuse box and found the appropriately label fuse #6 blown. Upon replacing it, the fuse immediately blew again. After blowing a couple more fuses, I tested the contacts with a VOM and find 12 volts across them, so the load side is grounded out and will continue to blow fuses. I took the front of the headliner down to check for a pinched wire and found none.

Since I did not have to reset my clock or radio after picking up my car from the trim shop, the tech evidently worked on the headliner replacement with the interior lights circuit hot and probably shorted something out in the process. My question is, which electronic component is burnt out and needs to be replaced?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Your electrical test where you used the volt meter on the 2 sockets for the #6 fuse does not mean you have a dead short to ground. If the wiring/components were good, you still would have a ground on the load side of the fuse.

You likely have a pinched wire. I've read where where wiring got pinched when the sun visor bolts to the roof/headliner. I'd also be pulling the map light and inspecting the wiring under there.

The wire color protected by the #6 fuse is white with a blue stripe.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:37 AM
mrm
Default must have been a pinched wire

Bingo! I decided to try one more fuse, which did not blow, and everything worked. I had completely pulled the wiring harness out of the roof and disconnected all four light fixtures, and so was not expecting to get 12V across the fuse terminals. However, I overlooked the door courtesy lights, which are on the same circuit and provide continuity back to ground. When I reinstalled the headliner, I must have unpinched the wire or corrected a short circuit at one of the light fixtures in the process. I'm glad to have the fix, albeit unexpected.