General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Control Mechanism..I think I broke it, how expensive to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Default Heater Control Mechanism..I think I broke it, how expensive to fix?

Help!

The heater **** on my 95 Accord was stuck on cold, couldn't get it to turn at all. So in a moment of sheer stupidity Iforced it to turn as as hard as I could and heard a loud sound like something broke deep inside the mechanism. Now I am able to turn a ****, but no heat. Checked the **** itself (pulled it out and checked) it is NOT borken/cracked. and it seems to turn the little 2" metal rod that isattached to it.

I also checked in the engine bay andwas able to turn the heater valve manually, after applying some spray lubricant, and get heat inside the cabin. Also thecable there isn't broken.

My question isHow expensive/involved is it if the the heater control mechanism inside the dash needs to get replaced ? Say if a palstic gear tooth or something like that got broken and needs to be pulled out and replaced.

I appreciate any feedback.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Heater Control Mechanism..I think I broke it, how expensive to fix?

If I remember correctly from the last time I had my dash torn apart, there is a plastic stud behind the heat and AC controls that the cable connects to. If you had to lube the mechanism in the engine bay to get it to move, maybe what you broke was the cable stud in the dash. It's a little work to get the dash torn apart to get to it. And if that is it, I'd see if you could get it at a junk yard. The dealer ship is always expensive.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks rtmobile96,

That's what I am affraid of, having to take the whole dash apart to get in there to replace/fix thepiece.

How do youtake the dash apart?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:40 AM

It's kind ofa lot to explain, your best bet would be to go buy a Haynes or Chilton. Or you could look for a place that has online manuals. I know some of the other guys in this forum site know where to find them but I don't. In my 96' which should be just like your 95', you gatta take the center console over the e-brake apart to take out the black trim around the shfiter and stereo out. Also take out the plastic piece under the stearing column. It's only held on by one screw behind the little change cubby on the left side of the steering wheel. After you take that screw out, it's held in by snap clips that pop on and off.To get the trim piece out that goes around the gauge area (which the heat and AC controls are connected to) you'll need to pop out your defog, gauge light dimmer and the cruise and sunroof buttons. I think there are only two screws behind those switches. Then on the undersire where you removed all the other stuff are also some screws. Remove all those and you should be able to pull the trim piece out with the controls connected to it. It's not hard, it's just a lot of screws and pieces.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:41 AM

This is a link directly from the DIY section:
http://search.ebscohost.com/
User ID: user
Password: password

After you log in, scroll to the bottom where it says "Auto Repair Reference Center" then select your car type from there.
This is identical to a Chilton Manual.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 AM

I think I need to spend some time looking through some of the DIY section. I think I'm unaware of a lot of good info. in there from the sounds of things.