General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater core trouble? '91

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Heater core trouble? '91

One time I ran my 91 accord low on coolant and it overheated. I think i caught it pretty fast, but when winter came i had the bad fog problem. Had the heater core done when the blower motor went and it was -30C and i couldn't see bugger all out the windows. The DW had the accord for a few days and on the weekend we were out for a drive to the far side of town and when i looked over from my passenger's seat vantage i saw the temp right to hot. So i dunno how long it had been hot. I suggested carefully she pull over immediately. Against common sense i opened the rad after i bought some coolant. I was hoping it wouldn't bubble up to bad but with the screaming kids and miffed Mrs. time was not on my side. The rad was damn near empty. I realised the rad had split at the bottom tank, so I pulled it and had it repaired. On a rainy day, i had a bit of fog inside. And I can still smell the heater when i turn it on but the smell never went totally away after i had the heater core done in Jan or Feb. It's not cold enough anymore to have the fog problem showing up, but I'm afraid I may have fried a new heater core. now I dunno if i'm just neurotic, or if i've caused the same problem again. Is there a way to tell if your heater core is gone other than the fog problem? Thanks for viewing, I value any comments or suggestions.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

If the smell never completely dissappeared when the core was first replaced, then maybe the air ducts were never completely cleaned out. That might explain the smell.

With a history of overheating, I'd replace the radiator, not repair it. How do you know whether the tubes are or aren't obstructed by crud? Maybe that's the reason for the overheating & it's not changed?