General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Default Heater Problem

Ok where to start have been having problems with my heater keeping a steady temperature in vehicle, it has been an absolute nightmare, here are a list of things that have been replaced
2001 Honda Accord v6 EX Model
Thermostat, rad cap all 3 sensors (under the dash drivers side, plus the sun dial and sensor outside of the vehicle, plus the heater core, blend door motor, plus the control valve witch regulates the flow of antifreeze, also the A/C heater control module panel switch inside the car and if you can believe it I only have heat on 32 cel at best and when I back it off to 26 I get cold air. I'm just beside my self trying to diagnose the problem LOL any help would be greatly appreciated. Note HONDA could not figure out the problem I have had this vehicle at the dealership 5 times with no luck very embarrassing for them I tell
Please help
Gainer

Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Default Resistor Problem

Also a friend suggested there could be a problem with the resistor pack in the blower motor not sure what that means?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for stored codes in the HVAC unit? There is a how to in the common diy thread (top of this section).

Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Default HVAC Unit

Not sure what that is HVAC unit could you elaborate please

Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 AM

HVAC stands for heating, ventilation and air conditioning. Read the diagnostic thread poorman212 mentioned. Newer cars have self diagnostic modes for not only HVAC but even the radios and NAV systems. With any luck with will get a code and with even more luck you will solve your problem. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

The blower "resistor" mentioned would cause a specific problem, namely the ventilation blower wouldn't run. That doesn't change the air temperature coming out of the HVAC system, it just means the blower won't run.

It's not necessarily an actual resistor pack like older cars, but a solid-state motor controller.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to call Honda of Canada (Or what country you live in, since you are using Celsius) and explain the situation to them. The dealership should be able to fix this problem without throwing parts at it.

Does the temperature gauge on the dash change while driving, or does it stay steady at about 1/3 the whole time?

Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 AM
Default Heater Problem

Excuse me for saying this but the people on the service desk including the MECHANIC OR MECHANIC'S who work at this dealership are inept. Not only that but they have access to a 1-800 help line and tech at the help line said that it was defiantly the heater core and the blend door motor so I replaced the heater core along with the blend door motor with no luck. So Then they replace the thermostat and rad cap along with the control value the controls the flow of ant-freeze still no luck. I then brought up the fact that maybe the Climate control panel was faulty which I had replaced in 2012 but they just shrugged that off, but having said all that there really is not anything left to replace. Do not take your Honda for repairs to the SARNIA location for repairs as I have come to find out from other people in SARNIA they call this place the Honda Stealership for a damn good reason they just wanna sell you parts SAD. Anyways there are 3 sensors one under the dash plus the sun dial and one under the hood that have also been replaced and still no luck. I just don't get it anymore
Any more thoughts would be appreciated

Old 11-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Default Heater Problem

So I've got this right . The a/c heater control panel tells the blend door motor what to do right ? Also after washing down the engine with bottled water because of the sweet smell of anti-freeze and being VERY careful not to pour on any electrical parts (did this after heater core was replaced) you can still smell anti- freeze and believe me I looked and looked and can not see a leak, As for the temperature gauge somebody else brought up after being warmed up it stays at about 1/3 of the way up and does not flexuate so I'm now completely stumped. So question is it the ac control panel that was replaced in 2012 the real problem

Gainer

Old 11-27-2014, 06:20 AM
Default Heater Problem

Another thought would it be possible that there's a problem with the relay switch under the hood for the a/c heater control panel (or the heater) shorting out could that relay switch be the culprit ?

Quick Reply: Heater Problem