General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Default Hello all

I'm new to this forum. Thank you in advance for any help you might give me.

I've been searching all around on every honda forum, but I have not found any results on my particular subject.

My car; 98 honda accord 2.3l 4cyl Sedan

I had transmission issues for a long while. p0740 code. I drove on it, filled transmission fluid every other day etc. The tranny died... (Duh)... Since them I have become knowledgeable via google, and forums. I've found out that the code means torque converter solenoid circuit malfunction.

I've also in the last month had a rebuilt transmission, new torque converter, and new solenoid.

When I received my car, I drove around the city happy as a clam. Haven't had my car since July 11'... As soon as I get on the freeway and hit about 55mph CEL! WTF?!?!!!!

I take it back to the guy, he checks the solenoid, and says all is well, and maybe it's the sensor.

My question is, what can I do to make this light go off? I wen't to O'reilly's and reset the code 3 times just to test when it happens.

Is there anything I can check?
What repairs could I make?
Would resetting the CPU help in this case?

I was thinking he didn't properly reset the CPU... Help please? It would be most appreciated...

Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Is it the same error code (P0740)?

Method of resetting won't be the problem. When you reset, it DOES NOT make the computer ignore the same error in the future. So if the problem isn't fixed, the same error is detected again & again each time you drive.

So the solenoid is new, along with the transmission being rebuilt.... I guess I'd be thinking about a problem in the wiring harness from the "CPU" (Honda calls it a PCM) out to the solenoid.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Yes, same code p0740...

If it was electrical, wouldn't it throw a different code?

I guess it just may be electrical. He told me it was a sensor. Is there a sensor that monitor the TCC for code p0740??

Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What code is it throwing?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM

P0740 is the code Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction is what the OBD 2 ...

Also while I'm at it... after having the transmission rebuilt, New Sloenoid, and Torque converter, I was wondering... Is it normal for my car, when coming to a stop, again 98 honda accord at lx 4cyl, that I feel a small down as if it is resetting it's self for take off. I feel it most of the time, but it's small. I never felt it before the transmission wen't out, and then when it did, i would fill it up all the time, and came to a stop, and it would jerk into first. Now with the tranny fixed, it shouldn't do that, right?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Not a sensor, this error is for the lock-up solenoid. When the PCM commands it, I guess it doesn't lock up.

But just like ANY error code, the PCM can't tell the difference between a bad solenoid vs. a wiring problem.

It's not unusual for you to be able to feel the transmission downshifting into first as you stop. But it shouldn't be obnixious. Maybe you're paying more attention after the trans repair.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Ok, thanks Jim... I guess all there is to do, is take it back to my mech for two more days... This sucks, but I guess thats the way the cookie crumbles.