General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP: 1990 4DR EX - PS leak (fixed), Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Default HELP: 1990 4DR EX - PS leak (fixed), Odometer

I changed 6 PS hoses that were old and stiff, but i am still getting leak (not as bad as before), maybe leaking from the rack and pinion? The fluid is all over the reservoir and headlight areas of the driver side. For the life of me, I can't seem to figure where it is coming from. Any suggestions?

Would help a great deal if I can find a diagram of a complete PS fluid flow. I tried search, but no luck.

TIA

Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: HELP: 1990 4DR EX - PS leak

it could be air in the p/s system, if system is full of air ( caused by a possible leak ) it will make the fluid in the reservoir oveflow..

also chk the reservoir itself for leaks and the p/s pump seal as well is there any sign of fluid on the hood itself ?? if so pump is leaking ,,chk the upper p/s pressure hose where the rubber and the metal crimp meet, have sen a few of those leak as well.
if p/s rack is leaking it would be very obvious,, there would be fluid coming out from the rack boots, try this pull the little rubber hose that goes into the boots and see if fluid comes out , if it does rack is leaking ..

Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 PM

DH, thanks for your help!

I tried to fix the old p/s pump, but wasn't able to take the pulley bolt off and decided to get a new (remanufactured) pump instead. NO MORE LEAK!

Now onto the dead odometer...should I fix it or just leave it at 150,009? I've been getting intermitted engine light check when driving on the freeway. It's gone after a restart. Could this be a bad VSS?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

If the cruise control stops working when the CEL comes on, then it is likely a bad VSS.

You should short the service connector and count the flashes on the CEL (you might have to look at the LED on the ECU). Post the codes on here, and members will give you their advice.

Here is a link that describes the procedure if you don't know how to do it. It takes about one minute to check for error codes:
http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM

PA, cruise control is not working but it's not causing CEL to come on when I have it on cruise control. I short the service connector and no flashing. CEL only comes on on the freeway and goes away after another startup. thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if cel comes on at any times and goes off,, computer should still store the code (s) you jumped the connector and no codes >??? UHMMM

Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM

yup, i dont see any sort of CEL flashes.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, you can download a shop manual for a 90 accord from www.hondahookup.com/manuals

Something is wrong here. The CEL should turn on for at least a few seconds if the service connector is shorted. You didn't start the car when you were doing this? The key should be on the II position with the engine off. Did the D4 light blink at all?

Make sure that you use a thin piece of wire to short the connector. A thick paper clip might not make contact with the connections.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 AM

HD, I used 12 gauge copper wire and the CEL did come for a few seconds when I turned the key to position II. I was expecting flashes (long and short). No D4 blinking.

Oh, I don't see 1990 (only 1991) accord service manual.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

I forgot, its a 91 shop manual.

They are the same generation Accord, so the 91 manual should be almost the same as the 90 accord manual.

Quick Reply: HELP: 1990 4DR EX - PS leak (fixed), Odometer