General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!!!! 2000 Honda Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Default Help!!!!! 2000 Honda Accord Coupe

Everything was fine until a 7 car accident involving me and 00" Accord Coupe V6 with only 80k on her. According to the crash sequence, I was car 6 of 7, so I didn't think I got it that bad considering the person who struck me passed away.

Long story short, I'm debating on whether to take the settlement of 7300 or buy the vehicle for 1250 and a salvage title, receiving the difference in Cash. I was told by a local body shop that the frame may not be bent, and it
May just be frame tabs. I've priced out rear and front bumber covers, and they were only a couple hundred for the set. I already have a little under a gallon of my Honda Forrest green paint, but I know I'll need more.
Taking it to a local body shop In the morning. The damage is 95% rear, behind the tire, mainly concentrated around the trunk and bumber, and a slight crack in the front bumber by the headlight. That looks like it can be bondo'd up fairly easily. My trunk does not close, and I had to take the rear mudflap off because it was touching the rear tire. Any body shop guys out there that may have an idea of how much damage I'm looking at, and if it would be cheaper to let my baby go?? I don't want to get rid of it but my wife is asking me to be rational about this situation, and just because our first time together was in the back of the accord, she will not support my desire to take on this project. Pics are available upon demand, I was trying to find a way to attatch to this post, but couldn't find it.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
- a fellow friend,
Mike

Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I deleted your other posts with the same thing from other threads. Please do not do that.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM

We really need detailed photos to be able to help you here. No amount of verbal description can paint the picture. go to your 'User CP' then on the left you will see 'pictures & albums' click on that then at the top left 'add album'

name it then 'upload pictures' then save the changes (after the upload from your computer) then click the photo, at the bottom of which there are links. Copy the BB Code link and paste it here

PS. Try to orient your pictures in the same way you would look at the car. In other words, it is harder for use to understand close ups when they are 90* rotated to one side.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 AM

The only problem is the salvage title . I rebuilt a mustang with a salvage title and its a lot of work you will have to get the car in road safe condition with everything working and set a appointment to have the state police inspect it and sign off that everything is legit and they will check all vins on the car .if the vins don't match they will swear the parts are stolen it sucks . Then after you get through that your car will be a beast to sell with a salvage title the cars in good condition are private party about 4500 so you can get around 2000 right now if it was finished today a settlement of 7500 is amazing for a car its age plus a lot of car dealers won't take salvage cars I personally have no problem buying them beings I've had them but a lot of people do sorry about the nagativity but I've been there several times its a mess

Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Put it on a lift at my job today, and it looks like the subframe has collapsed into the main frame. I didn't have time to get to a body shop, but I will try this week. I will take some clearer pics with my digital camera later in the week. I wasn't too concerned about the idea of getting a salvage title, because of the low milage on the vehicle I plan on keeping it.
Still weighing out options.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I would take the 7300 and run. The 98-02 V6 accords had some premature transmission failures. You can probably get a fairly low mileage 03-07 accord for 7300.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:13 PM

+1 ^. Not to mention you can get a v6 with a 6speed if that's ur boat

Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Good body work will cost around 2500-3500 (that's based off ur description) could b less probably will b more. When the transmission goes expect to spend another 2500 so in total (without calculating other cost like tires, brakes, axles ect). You are at 5000 plus the cost to buy it 1250, so 6250. Not a good choice IMO

7500 is a great deal and you will never see that kind of offer ever again. Especially since it will have a salvage title.

If you are really attached take the money and get a newer accord. You won't be disappointed

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-11-2012 at 04:24 PM.