General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Default Help!!

Hey guys, still can't get my 89 accord lx running! Checked for power at the fuelpump plug in the rear of the car. When i turn on the ignition to cycle the pump, it only comes on for about a quarter of a second rather than 2 seconds. I know it suppose to run for 2 seconds before it shuts off. No fuel coming out the end of the fuel line near the carb. please help

Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

LX is carb'd, unless someone has done something.

If you put 12v to the pump do you get fuel? There are two filters on this gen.

Have you tried spraying carb, starting fluid in the throat of the carb? What does the sight glass on the side of the carb tell you?

....ok, I might have missed what led up to this (other posts,ect). What is the back ground here? Replaced the head and this started, driving along and this started, sat for 5 years and trying to get it going, why do you think it is fuel and not spark,,,,ect?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM

yeh poorman, the guy i bought the car from took care of it to the upmost. he said he went to crank it up one morning and nothing. He said prior to that the carb was running rich and the choke was sticking, so he started rebuilding the carb, but quit on it. I think it sat for 4 years or so but he turned the engine over every two weeks or so. The car is in very good shape. So he sold the car to me and i got a good used carb off another reputable 89 model in my friends junkyard. Me and the old owner installed the carb with all the vacuums in their correct places. I poured some gas in the rear of the carb and after a few tries it started but only a couple of seconds until the small amount of fuel burned out. I don't think there is enough gas in the side of the carb to see any in the sight glass! If any at all. So i pulled the fuel line off the carb, and turned on the ignition just before start, and didn't see any fuel shoot out the end of the fuel line. Shouldn't there be fuel shooting out the end of the fuel line? Do i need to pour gas on the side of the carb to half way the sight glass? If so how do i do that? Do I need to use starting fluid also? The fuelpump only cycles a fraction of a second when the ignition is turned to on. What should i try next? Do you think its the main relay?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

First, the myth of main relay does not apply to a carb'd Accord. Shouldn't call it a myth as it is true for a FI car.........but we (you) have a carb, I can say we as I have two of these....anyway. Cycle the key a few times, spray it a few more times, then:

Put 12 v to the pump, easy to get to (let me know if you need more info). Does the pump run, do you get gas AT the carb?

About the only sure way to kill a Honda fuel pump is to let it "sit" and gum up....but until you test it, I don't want to go there.

There are "other" things (ICM, coil) that power the relay and pump so you are trying to figure out where the power is not getting to.

Late for an old man on the east coast so I'm going to log off until tomorrow.....good luck.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 AM

yeh poorman, the pump works. But when you cycle the key, the pump only hums for a quarter of a second. doesn't it suppose to hum for 2 seconds? Could you listen to yours and see how long it hums when you cycle the key

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

On the carb'd, using the "one mississippi" rule...maybe just the "one". Used the 89 LX for the test.

There are two fuel filters on these, have you checked/replaced both of them? The pump only puts out about 2~3 psi, the float inside the carb is the only thing reg the flow, so it doesn't take much to stop the flow. So can you jump the relay or "hot wire" the pump and see if there is flow to the carb? Or better yet since you are right there at the pump, run a hose from the outlet into a gas can and measure that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 PM

hey poorman. you say the pump on the 89 lx only hums briefly? o.k then that sounds like everything might be working fine. i checked the front fuel filter, but not the back. I'll check the back one tomorrow to make sure it isn't clogged. if it isn't, I'll straight wire the pump to check the flow. The carb is dry,so i poured some gas in back of the carb the last time. any other suggestions i need to try tomorrow. Also the fuel is probably stale from sitting for 4 years!!! But still i need to get fuel to the carb. Maybe the fuelpump is working but not good enough! You've been a big help so far! Please advise further. how strong should the flow be when i flow it in a bottle?

Last edited by hondaman08; 05-12-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

We must be on different time zones or schedules because once again, I was just about to log out and saw this.

Check the back filter, remove the tire as it makes it easier. Check the DIY section for a manual you can download to verify the flow rate/time, it is late for me....

If the car is running, fuel added some how, there should be a signal from the coil sending power to the pump,,,another check.

So if you get "good" flow from the pump to a gas can, the filter is next on the list. If that passes, run ~8 ft of hose towards the carb, if the flow can't make it that far the pump is not "pushing" enough.....

As far as "stale", that would be next, to your point, it has to get to the carb first. A little of you favorite gas treatment and adding fresh gas will solve that...IMO.