General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help. Accident... what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Default Help. Accident... what do I do?

to make a long story short,

i was on the highway, left most lane, a truck had a dolly fly off of their car and i tried to avoid it but instead hit the barrier and spun and 360 and hit the other side of the barriers.

i only have collision insurance. (i think it's collision) i have state farm. it's the cheapest plan available.

someone called in and got the license plate number of the rental truck.

so what do i do? will the good outweigh the bad?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Help. Accident... what do I do?

report a claim, collect your money and get a new car.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Administrator

And make sure you call your insurance company along with the police, No Police , no report, no money for you!

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 02:24 PM

i got a police report also. will my insurance cover me?

Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Talk to the insurance company not us. Most have a 24 hour line to report an accident......call them now.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM

you cant only have collision. you can only have liability. if you have liability, then you can add collision, comprehensive, etc.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:22 AM

Where's our insurance guy for this???? and pull your pants up Jon!!! j/k

Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 AM

It is a myth that insurance companies won't pay if you don't report it to the police. At least the upstanding insurance companies like mine. We also will accept any claim sent in, regardless of how long ago it happened. Insurance companies do not want to get sued for "bad faith" because they will lose 99.99999% of the time.
We do like to get accidents reported as quickly as possibe though, and we always want an accident report, but be won't deny your claim for not reporting it to the police. In fact, in some cities such as Seattle, the police will not even make a report unless someone was injured. Regardless, always get a police report (I saw above you have one).
Report it to State Farm ASAP. They will pay your claim (if you have collision coverage), and they will handle trying to recover the $ from the responsible party (in this case, the truck driver who lost the dolly.) If they recover the full amount, they will reimburse you your deductible. If they recover only a portion of the damages, they should reimburse you a portion of your deductible proportional to the amount they recovered. (example: if they recovered 80% of the total claim, they should reimburse 80% of your deductible).

Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot 00AccordLX5spd.

This morning, I called my agent and he pretty much told me that I'm out of luck. I don't have collision. If he submits the claim, I would most likely he charged at fault and my premium will go up.
The best thing I can do is call the Rental Truck company and try to get the name of his insurance company and contact them.

So I contacted the Rental place and they said the dolly wasn't theirs'. Most likely it was the truck driver's personal dolly.

The lady I talked to at the claim office said, this can be a hit and run. So I need to find out his insurance company by contacting the police department to make the rental company release his information.

So I contacted the police and they are now trying to get his info.

This sucks. Thanks everyone

Old 10-29-2007, 12:42 PM

i dont think it matters who's dolly it is. it was on their truck, so they are liable for it. did you point that out to them?

Quick Reply: Help. Accident... what do I do?