General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help choosing cold air intake and engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Default help choosing cold air intake and engine

i just got a 94 accord lx from my uncle which he was selling for $700 but ended up getting for free. It had some problems which i just took care of today(axle,manifold,head gasket)the car has a dent near the left tail light,broken antenna, makes weird electric noise only when i lock it, andelectricfront windows move slow with the passenger one making a screeching noise but the inside is one of the cleanest.Well, this is my first car and i plan on keeping itand slowly tuned it up.Well i have 2 questions, first one,since i'm planning on keeping my car, some day iwant to put a turbo in but i was planning on switchin the f22b2(168k)with the b1 so i could have vtec (even though i have to get vtec water pump,computer, selenoid,throttle body, the oil line and wiring harness)but i heard the b2 is better to tunewith turbo.Which one is better in the long run? My second one is i want to buy a cold air intake but i just spendaround $200 yesterday so i want to get a semi cheap one. my friend was selling me a used aem for $60 but when i went to go see him he had already sold it. i was looking into apc and kool vue but i heard horrible stories about them, so i want to ask you guys whats an okay and reliable brand? (because right now i can't afford an aem,injen, or k&n since they go for over $200)

Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: help choosing cold air intake and engine

ORIGINAL: accordlx94

i just got a 94 accord lx from my uncle which he was selling for $700 but ended up getting for free. It had some problems which i just took care of today(axle,manifold,head gasket)the car has a dent near the left tail light,broken antenna, makes weird electric noise only when i lock it, andelectricfront windows move slow with the passenger one making a screeching noise but the inside is one of the cleanest.Well, this is my first car and i plan on keeping itand slowly tuned it up.Well i have 2 questions, first one,since i'm planning on keeping my car, some day iwant to put a turbo in but i was planning on switchin the f22b2(168k)with the b1 so i could have vtec (even though i have to get vtec water pump,computer, selenoid,throttle body, the oil line and wiring harness)but i heard the b2 is better to tunewith turbo.Which one is better in the long run? My second one is i want to buy a cold air intake but i just spendaround $200 yesterday so i want to get a semi cheap one. my friend was selling me a used aem for $60 but when i went to go see him he had already sold it. i was looking into apc and kool vue but i heard horrible stories about them, so i want to ask you guys whats an okay and reliable brand? (because right now i can't afford an aem,injen, or k&n since they go for over $200)
Don't even bother, and all of that isn't even necessary for swapping in that engine.

The F22B2

If you plan on turbocharging the motor later down the line, there's little to no point in even trying to mod it now b/c anything you buy would end up being replaced anyways. If you truly want to turbocharge it, start saving up now for a rebuild of the engine with forged internals, quality parts, and a good tune after itsall put back together.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

swap is not worth it at all......would make car ever so slightly faster, and the b1 doesnt have real vtec it has midrange gas mileage vtec not power making high rpm vtec

Old 07-20-2008, 02:35 PM

aproximately how much goes into turbocharging it and rebuilding the engine?

Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_1..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM

okay, i'm going to start saving up to hopefully do it next summer
now what about the intake?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 AM

For the intake, buy a really cheap one for you model off ebay. Then, I'd wait until you get it so you can measure the pipe diameter and get a real nice filter off of K&N website. ebay pipe + K&N filter < $100