General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:42 PM
oobudoo
Unregistered
Default Help! Door won't open

Need help with grandsons 90' Accord EX. Drivers door will not open and the window will not go up. Got inner panel part way open but cant get in there to do anything. Seems like may be something to do with lock system, but not sure. Need help asap. Going to rain this weekend. Right now would just be happy to get the window up.

Worked on grandaughters (Cousins) 87' accord last weekend (Window regulator) so have an idea what how to remove window, motor, etc. but need to get the door open to repair. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Help! Door won't open

There should be a 20amp fuse (#30) in the box under the hood that could be blown causing the window not to work.

Do the other windows work using the drivers door switch? The problem could be the window switch, the relay, the fuse, or the motor. In the DIY section, open the thread called Online manuals. The spoonhonda link has a 91 shop manual that you can download as a pdf. The pages around 16-235.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Unbolt the driver seat and get it out of the way. [sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 12-10-2008, 08:39 PM
oobudoo
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: hondadude

Unbolt the driver seat and get it out of the way. [sm=goodidea.gif]
Great idea about the seat removal hondadude. Seems like a simple solution as long as the door panel can be removed. Hopefully will get a chance tomorrow.This grandson works full-time and goes to college 3 nights a week so the car doesn't stop much. Maybe let him use the wife's crv. As for the window, the fuses are good. All other windows work. Don't know if separate problem between window and door or if one problem caused the other. FYI the lock on this door needed the key to unlock. The keyless enty (Alarm) will unlock all other doors except the drivers door. It has done this ever since his great grandmother had the car. (Several years ago). Thank for all the input. Please keep them coming!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

The keyless enty (Alarm) will unlock all other doors except the drivers door.
So it has an aftermarket keylessentry/alarm system in it. That might be your problem right there, you can have some weird stuff happenif you don't install them right.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 PM
oobudoo
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: jcocker03

The keyless enty (Alarm) will unlock all other doors except the drivers door.
So it has an aftermarket keylessentry/alarm system in it. That might be your problem right there, you can have some weird stuff happenif you don't install them right.
Dont know if keyless entry was after market or not. Was on the car when bought (Used) by his great grandparents. If I push down on the lock on the driver door all the other locks will lock and unlock if pulled up on the driver door lock. Spoke with a service guy at my local dealer this morning and he tells me the linkage may have come loose. If I can get a hand in there I should be able to push a button on top of the latch inside the door which should get the door open. Hopefully will get time this afternoon to remove the seat and pull the inner panel open enough to remove the window motor, to remove the window, to reach the latch. Seems like alot of "I hope this will work" coming into play here.

Has anyone been able to slim jim inside the window to hit a button on top of the latch/locking system? My grandson had a friend with a slim jim but was unable to get the door open. Thanks again for all the input. Please dont stop now.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Dont know if keyless entry was after market or not.
im 99% sure 90 accords didnt come stock with keyless entry

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Maybe the lock motor went out... Common thing with hondas

Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM
oobudoo
Unregistered

Update! Got the door open. Removed inside door panel, removed window and moved track. Drilled a 1/4hole into the latch and then wiggled a screwdriver in the hole which opened the door.All this with the drivers seat still in place. Local dealer gave me a diagram where to drill. There happened to be a tiny hole already in the spot that needed drilling. So now I have removed the door latch, window regulator and motor as well as the door lock relay. Checked the window switch with a volt meter and appears to be working so I will replace the motor.

I now have a new question.Does the door lock relay have anything to do with the window motor. As I stated earlier, had to replace a window relay on a 87" accord couple weeks ago which did not have power locks. The label on the 90" relay says door lock relay, but does not say anything about the window. I dont know if I should get a new relay or not. Bought a new window regulator and motor from ebay for good price. Hope it works. Having trouble finding door latch assembly. Dealer wants about $250.

Not in a hurryon this anymoresince grandson bought new (Used) car on Sat. Now this Accord will be handed down toother grandson when he gets his license in a couple of months. Thanks again for all the replies and please keep them coming.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

If there is any way that you could post the diagram on here, that would be great. I know that others have had trouble finding the right spot to drill to open that door latch.

www.tasauto.com has better prices than the dealership. They have latches listed for the DX for $90, but I would call them and ask about one for your car. They have excellent customer service IMO.

I am not sure about your relay question. I would look to see if you can find a window relay. I think that you should just check the plug to window motor with a volt meter. Turn on the switch on, and see if you get power to the proper pin on the connector.

Quick Reply: Help! Door won't open