General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help!!!! everything goes dead when I remove the key

Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Default help!!!! everything goes dead when I remove the key

I have a 2008 Accord LX that i just installed a double din pioneer radio.

Now, when i remove the key from the ignition the car goes dead.

For example if i have my head lamps on and turn the veh off and remove the key the headlamps shut down. The door locks dont work either with the key out of the ignition, my keyless entry does'nt work either and because of that the radio does not hold its memory or presets because it looses complete power after the key is removed...

I didnt cut any wires from the original harness. I purchased an adapter for the oem harness and used that.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS HAPPENING?!!!! ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANK YOU

Old 11-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

First thing is to check the fuses, driver side under-dash fuses, under-hood fuses, passenger side under-dash, etc. I would start with the driver side under-dash fuses first . With the key removed and you losing power indicates some circuit(s) is/are broken. If you find any blown fuses and they blow again, I would suspect you have a short in the dash wire harness.

As a last resort, remove the aftermarket radio and replace with the original system to see if there is any changes.

I suspect blown fuse(s) and/or a short though.