General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! found my lost hotwired accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default HELP! found my lost hotwired accord

"1994 Accord 2.2L lX AT"

My accord was stolen but i was able to recover it, but it was hotwired and ofcourse wont start. The ignition assembly is split in two from the bracket area and the switch is seperated from the assembly. Also, under the dash the main harness' look good except for two black wires which i cant figure where they were cut. I traced the two black wires and they went to the fusebox under the hood and were disconnected from there as well. I'm guessin a new ignition assembly, but cant figure out how and what those two black wires are.(my guess is starter related).

-Appreciate any help because it is my work car and need to get it running

Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Can you take some pictures of what is going on and maybe we can give you better advice.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default got pics

here r the pics
img1 - Here im showing the two black wires next to the underhood fusebox(my guess they beling somewhere near that connector w fuzzy wires)

img2 - these are teh 2 black wires that were cut and dangling under the dash

img3 - this is the connector under the dash, there is nothing plugged into it and guessin the black wires were part of the plug that went into it

img4 - right side of column with igniton assembly broken off

img5 - contd from img4, the upper half of the ignitoin assembly is still attached to the braket, so prob have to drill the screws to put new one

Basically, im guessing i def need new igniton assembly, but cant figure out the 2 black wires but think they were starter related and need to know the plug they fit into. They run from underhood fusebox, through the firewall, to underdash just to be clear.

-appr any help

Attached Thumbnails HELP! found my lost hotwired accord-1.jpg   HELP! found my lost hotwired accord-2.jpg   HELP! found my lost hotwired accord-3.jpg   HELP! found my lost hotwired accord-4.jpg   HELP! found my lost hotwired accord-5.jpg  

Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

I would start with the simpler stuff first.

1. You will need to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. You can also replace the wire harness from the ignition switch to the under dash fuse box.

It looks like the mechanical side of the ignition switch is broken from the pics (I can't tell for sure). That part is really expensive, so you may want to pick up a used one at a junkyard. A locksmith should be able to put the proper tumblers in, so your original key will work.

2. Where is that electrical connector under your dash? What components are near that connector, because it looks like it was just unplugged. Also, what are the wire colors going to that connector?

Another question, how long was your car missing? Do those two black wires look like they are part of the car's original wiring harness, or do they look like they were added on? Does your car have some sort of security system installed on it?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

That connector in the third pic is near the steering column and the wires in that connector are red and black. The car was missing for about 3 weeks, but i think police just took some time recovering it. The two wires im guessing were there only because they are routed threw the firewall and im guessin were part of a plug that went into that connector. No security system. As for the igniton assembly, i was thinking about getting the whole assembly with the switch and key part from ebay and plug into original harness.
Also, that connector in the third pic with the red and black wires comes off a bigger harness and just the red and black wires come off that harness which go into that mysterious connector.

Last edited by accordrulz; 01-17-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I gave poorman212 my 95 shop manual that has more details on the electrical connectors, pin numbers, and wire colors than the 94 manual that you can download online.

You can install a used ignition switch into your car. Just remember that you will have to use a different key to start the car, compared to the one you will use to unlock your car. A locksmith should be able to transfer the tumblers from the original switch to the replacement switch.

I think that it might be worth your time to find a u-pull-it junkyard. Look up under the dash of a 94 or 95 accord that is similar to yours to see what is missing. Maybe someone on here with the same car can try to help you out. I sold my 95 accord about a year ago, so I can't help you with specifics.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, hey......I at least paid for the shipping

Trust me, I already tried to find that two pin BLK/RED connector......haven't found it yet (on line or in the book). Is there another color on the red wire,,,, It maybe a small stripe or a "dash" of sorts.....Honda usually uses more than one color on the "red"" side.....I got a 7 and an 8 pin but no two pin.

From there, the wires in the first two pics do not look like factory wires....can I assume they are the same from under dast to under hood?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

@poorman, I'll be clearer next time.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Update

hey, i took off the dash piece and remembered there was a temporary horn installed so that takes care of the two black wires, which were visible behind the button.
-As for the connector, the red wire is all red but the black one has a stripe of white on it. I will be posting some pics of the connector. One more thing is that the connector comes of a harness that goes into the ecu (silver box near fusebox) and the other end goes to other connectors that go into the ignition. Once again ill try to post some pics because i cant tell if this connector was like this or not. In the meantime im gonna order the ignition assembly and just deal w seperate keys.
-tks

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

... you know I was joking PA...right?

I'm begining to think that is the "key light"...more reading. If nothing else I might pull the covers on the 95 and see if I can find it....I've looked at the ing/wipers/washers and still can't seem to find this two pin RED and BLK/WHT wire.

Quick Reply: HELP! found my lost hotwired accord