General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!! I just swapped my engine and....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Default Help!!! I just swapped my engine and....

I just swapped my 98 Accord's F23A4 engine with a F23A4 off a 2002 sedan and the fans dont turn on by themselves.... They work when I turn the AC on (I tried only to test it) I have everything plugged in as I should for the looks of it... Please help. Anything I forgot to do???

Edit***** Added info....
The reason I swapped the motor is because I BHG. The oil got into the coolant... the coolant did not get into the oil. I cleaned the radiator out completely, bought new hoses, (top and bottom rad hose, and heater hose) Cleaned out the reservoir hoses (2)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Default RE: Help!!! I just swapped my engine and....

Do you guys think its the temp sensor gone bad??? Maybe my cleaning of the radiator was a bit harsh? A fuse?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I know there is a thermoswitch A and a thermoswitch B that turn the fans on at the correct temperature.... and I know they can god bad.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM

The new engine has 46k on it... the fans worked fine before the swap.... By the way, my temp gauge stays at its normal running temp (1/3), although I think its running warmer than usual. Please help me out I cant believe Im having this problem with this swap.

Is there a way to test the switches? Or do I have to buy new ones?
What about the sending unit? Where is that located and would it be easy amd inexpensive to change?
Should I flush out the cooling system?
Check the timing on the engine?
Can it be time for a new t-stat and or WP???? I know I have to get the T-stat from Honda (OEM) like all hondas/acuras, I have a new WP on the old engine....

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM

Things I would do:

- Bleed the cooling system
- Check the switches for the fans, force the circuits closed and see if the fans actually run

-Timing shouldnt effect the cooling system
-A new T-stat or WP shouldnt affect the fans turning on or off
-The sending unit is not connected to the fans, it only tells teh gauge what to read
-My guess is the thermoswitches were damaged or bad on the new engine.

Use the link in my sig to search for "thermoswitch", there might even be a DIY in the DIY section.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM

I always use your search.... I google your name everytime I jump on because I use your search... Haventtrued searchingthermoswitch yet though. Again, thank you so much for your help Finch... Ill search that right now and try to diagnose. Im gonna have a long "to do list" tomorrow.

Finch, how do I Check the switches for the fans, force the circuits closed and see if the fans actually run

Also, every ????k miles should I replace the Tstat?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 PM

I would just unplug the fans and give them direct current from the battery to see if they run without any switches in the circuit.

As for checking the actual switches, I know its been mentioned on here before, I just dont know how exactly. Good luck though!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 PM

They should work.... They work when I turn on the AC... Ill try first thing in th emorning and shoot you a om and post as well. Thanks a lotagain

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

In 98 theres only ONE fan switch. Its located in the thermostat housing. The fan WILL NOT run after the key is switched off.

Unplug the fan switch. Jumper the wire with a paperclip. Key on, that should make the fan run. If so, you have just tested EVERYTHING except the switch itself.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM

I think the fan closest to the A/C compressor turns on with the A/C, but the other one doesn't, but I'm not 100%...

Im driving back to MN from FL tomorrow, so a PM might not be the best idea. I check every new post, so just post in here and I'll see it as well as other people.

Quick Reply: Help!!! I just swapped my engine and....