General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
OldMan2003Accord
Unregistered
Default Help: Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on

Forgive me as Im old and did not know how to search for this problem yet. I will learn

I have a 2003 accord 47k miles

Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on.

Manual says:
". . . If it comes on at any other time, it indicates one of the engine's emissions control systems may have a problem. . . . it can reduce your fuel economy and cause your car to put out excessive emissions. Continued operation may cause serious damage. . . ."

I assume I would have to make appointment with a mechanic. I will do this, but I wanted to ask if anyone has an idea of what the problem might be, and what it might cost

Thanks

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Could be anything. That lamp comes on for about 1,000 different "trouble codes" the engine computers sets. It could be a free fix, it could be a $5,000 fix.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

go to Autozone and have them pull the code ,, it will be P.... ,,,,,,once read post it here , it could be an easy fix

Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
OldMan2003Accord
Unregistered

Originally Posted by finch13
Could be anything. That lamp comes on for about 1,000 different "trouble codes" the engine computers sets. It could be a free fix, it could be a $5,000 fix.
Originally Posted by deserthonda
go to Autozone and have them pull the code ,, it will be P.... ,,,,,,once read post it here , it could be an easy fix

thank you both! I know how to search here now!

OK, i went to advance auto parts in arlington va, and they were very helpfull.

THE CODE IS/SAID:
PO141
02 Sensor Heater
Circuit Malfunction
Bank 1 Sensor 2

Autozone told me to order the parts needed for my LX 2.4 not the 3.0 v6:
1. Oxygen Sensor; post cat 4 door 78.99
2. Oxygen Sensor pre cat 207.99

they said I would need both parts. Is this correct??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM

it could turn out to be a bad secondary o2 sensor,, but i would not replace any parts till it is properly diagnosed ..... and i would not replace both sensors just because they say so ,,

first chk fuse # 18 ( ACG ) under dash fuse box , 15 amp ,,,make sure fuse is ok,,

Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

That error code is only for the rear sensor, mounted in the catalytic converter. The front sensor heater has it's own different error code.

I think you have to go inside the car, under the front passenger seat, under the carpeting - there you'll find where to unplug the sensor wire.

The wires going to the SENSOR - find the 2 same-color wires (black?) and measure resistance between them. It should be 5.0 to 6.4 ohms.

A good heater will measure the correct resistance between those wires, and will have NO continuity to ground at either wire. A bad heater will probably measure open-circuit (no continuity).

If the heater resistance is good, and the fuse Desert mentioned is good, then come back & we'll see what we can figure out about broken wires, loose plugs, corrosion, whatever...

Last edited by JimBlake; 12-09-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
OldMan2003Accord
Unregistered

Originally Posted by deserthonda
it could turn out to be a bad secondary o2 sensor,, but i would not replace any parts till it is properly diagnosed ..... and i would not replace both sensors just because they say so ,,

first chk fuse # 18 ( ACG ) under dash fuse box , 15 amp ,,,make sure fuse is ok,,
Thanks! I can manage this . I will report back with findings.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That error code is only for the rear sensor, mounted in the catalytic converter. The front sensor heater has it's own different error code.

I think you have to go inside the car, under the front passenger seat, under the carpeting - there you'll find where to unplug the sensor wire.

The wires going to the SENSOR - find the 2 same-color wires (black?) and measure resistance between them. It should be 5.0 to 6.4 ohms.

A good heater will measure the correct resistance between those wires, and will have NO continuity to ground at either wire. A bad heater will probably measure open-circuit (no continuity).

If the heater resistance is good, and the fuse Desert mentioned is good, then come back & we'll see what we can figure out about broken wires, loose plugs, corrosion, whatever...
Thanks! This might be a bit more then I can manage, as it seems I would need a SENSOR tester? Is that correct?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Not a SENSOR tester, just a multi-meter to measure electrical resistance (ohms). I think places like AutoZone or RadioShak sells them for $10 or $20. You don't need a $240 Fluke meter but they sure are nice...

And you don't seem to need the front oxygen sensor ($208 according to your post).

Old 12-09-2009, 05:13 PM

I would do my best to find out who sells a Denso (OEM) sensor in your area, if the price difference isn't that much.

At this point, if you're unable to diagnose and would just like it replaced, do just that. You would have to lift the front of the car up and get yourself situated under the exhaust pipe. Some say use an oxygen sensor socket, but even the 11 year old secondary oxygen sensor on my Accord broke loose fairly easily with some penetrating oil (JB 80, Liquid Wrench, etc.) and an 18mm open end wrench.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
OldMan2003Accord
Unregistered

Hey guys

Im an old fart that knows nothing about cars. Im going to have my mechanic fix the car, so the info i get from here and your help will save me some $. Times are tough these days so every bit of $ saved is a big help.

Thanks again for all the great help.

ps: what confuses me is the lady at advance auto parts told me it was the front and now you all tell me its not. Thank goodness for second opinions.

Quick Reply: Help: Malfunction Indicator Lamp comes on