General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED - Unusual Shift Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Default HELP NEEDED - Shorted Electrical (see post #6&7)

Hi all,
After warming up my 2001 Accord V6 for about 5mins today, and swithch gear shift to reverse to get out of the garage, my engine suddenly cut out. And the shift is locked in Park position.

I read a bunch of posts online and tried to manual shift release. Which does allow the shifter to move out of Park, but the STRANGE thing is that, althought the engine can start up fine, the Tachometer never move out of 0, and the fuel gauge is at 0 (even the tank is full), Temperature is at 0... as if all these gauges are not working.

Here's what I've tried so far after reading many posts:
1) Brake lights are all working fine
2) Horn works
3) I can start the engine fine, but shift is locked to park. After manual release, if I shift the gear, engine will make an unusual sound (like as if accelerating for a second). Feels like a rough shift each time. If I put it into park, and shut engine, it will be locked again...

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ao_tenshi; 03-07-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 AM

How about a code. Has the engine kicked the CEL on? I would almost bet it would and if not wonder why. Does the CEL come on when the car is started and then go off? Another words does it work?

Could be a number of things going on such as a bad brake switch which sends signal to the solenoid for the shift lever, the solenoid itself, shift position switch, PCM. The problems should be check in that order from brake switch by the brake pedal to the PCM.

Maybe just a bit more information might help.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Also check all the fuses. Not sure if the gauges and the interlock are on the same circut-can't find my manual right now.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

So I've checked again, CEL is not on. Also found out that the Power Windows are not responding. Beginning to think its an electrical issue... But check all the other (windshield wiper, all signals and lights, radio, a/c, power mirror etc) all works fine.... Any thoughts?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Sounds like a MICU (multiplex integrated control unit) problem to me. It controls all of this stuff. It is part of the under dash fuse box. Maybe check the wiring going to the MICU.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM

I have a suspicion, I've installed an aftermarket backup radar a long time ago. The power is drawn from the backup light wirings. (ie. if I shift to Reverse, the radar is powered). I noticed the wire of the radar has worn off. If this wiring (connected to the backup light bulb socket) shorted, where would I check first for something that's fried? Is it the MICU as last post suggested?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Did more digging on the forum and found a post with the exact same symptoms as me... however, the original poster fixed the issue but did not post a solution. Sounds like putting in a fuse as it got shorted out:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...t=power+window

I'm a newbie to changing fuse, so it would be a big help if someone could give some directions on how to locate the correct fuse and how to replace it?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Problem Solved. Thanks for those who gave many suggestions!

To clarify for anyone interested. Its a burnt fuse located under the dash. I took the car to a local shop, and they put in a new fuse ($5) and problem solved

Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear...hope you or they took car of the wire to keep the issue from coming back?