General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help newbe 97 accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Help newbe 97 accord

Recently bought a 97 accord and ended up having problems with various things. I need help putting my rocker arm assembly back into block. The cams were not set tdc and now clearance is a problem. The cams seem to have moved up more towards the timing side. I think this is due to turning the engine slightly with the rocker arms out. I also accidently turned the engine the wrong direction at one point in time. Any help will be grateful. Thanks

Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
This is the welcome/intro section, so I'll move this post over to General Tech.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks JimBlake.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Supper Moderator

you have a f22bx engine it only has ONE cam not a set of cams.

What do you mean by your rockers? Are you installing a whole new set of rockers?? Intake or exhaust side rockers? Why do they need replacing in the first place??..Did the owner be4 you have a crazy camshaft installed that ate up your vavle train and rockers???

Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

There is a chance you damaged some valves, depending on how much you turned the engine.

Google wYU8qtPzQOY.

This YouTube video shows a 90-93 2.2L engine. He takes out the rocker assembly for a different reason, but installation should be the same.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello PAHonda I appreciate your help. I have a f22b2 non vtech 4 cylinder. Basically I pulled out the spark plugs and found that the all plugs were full of oil so I did my research and found out that I needed to change out the lower and upper tube seals. So I decided to follow instructions that I found. When I opened the valve cover I saw that the oil had burned throughout the whole rocker arm assembly. Maybe due to spinning the engine wrong direction when I changed out the alternator. Engine still started up before I started any work under valve cover. I think I might have threw timing off or bent something because the idle was revving up and down, but through many threads people were saying it could be that I needed to adjust cylinder valves. Well after going through the whole instructions of removing valve cover plugs and all I tried to turn the engine tdc but it was pretty much stuck. So I proceeded anyways to remove the rocker arm assembly and installing the valve seals. When replacing the whole assembly and torquing bolts in sequence of inside to outside then tried checked for clearance of the valves everything seemed fine. Then I tried to turn the engine again tdc but it only spinned maybe a quarter turn and got stuck. I then proceeded to loosen the adjuster nut and see if there would be more slack and very little slack but the intake valve for cylinder 1 was pretty much stuck and also cylinder 4. I'm wondering if I have the valve assembly off is okay to turn engine tdc to see if I can reinstall then? Valve assembly does look like it could be bent more towards the #1 cylinder. Thanks everyone for comments and help I really appreciate it.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello g22cd5 thanks for the reply my reply to pahonda is basically what I did.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Good info from all three of you guys..good post

Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

You have a lot of stuff going on with your accord.

I would download the 94 accord shop manual from the spooner link listed in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

Once the rocker arm assembly is properly installed, and since you have the valve cover is removed, you should be able to line up the white mark on the harmonic balancer pulley (TDC mark) and see if the two marks on the camshaft sprocket lined up.

I would remove the spark plugs to make turning the engine easier. Since you messed with the valve gaps, I would adjust all the valves according to the shop manual procedure.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks PAHonda been looking for the manual for long time now. I'll try what you said and keep you updated. I hope it works out hopefully it is not bent valves. Thanks again you've been very helpful.

Quick Reply: Help newbe 97 accord