General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help newbe 97 accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay guys just got the rocker arm assembly reinstalled all i had to do was turn the engine to tdc to have more clearance I guess I was a little afraid that I was going to mess something up. Changed all the gasket and seals for the under the valve cover. Engine starts right but I am currently not getting coolant through the entire system so I think it could be radiator, fans which are not working or the water pump. any ideas? Thermostats been changed out, radiator hoses, fan relays and fan sensor. Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Radiator fans don't control or prevent anti-freeze from flowing - that's the thermostat. Maybe the water-tubes in the radiator are obstructed by crud?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by americapitalpaul
Engine starts right but I am currently not getting coolant through the entire system so I think it could be radiator, fans which are not working or the water pump. any ideas? Thermostats been changed out, radiator hoses, fan relays and fan sensor. Thanks again.
I agree with Jim's ? but I'd also like to ask if you bleed the coolant as/when you were refilling it. What is the temp gauge doing?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the reply JimBlake and PoorMan212. The bleeder was released but no coolant is reaching that far. Like Jimblake said obstructed tubes in the radiator I believe. When pouring antifreeze into radiator it over flowed and stopped circulating. None of the overflow was going into the overflow reservoir so I went ahead and ordered a new radiator. Did not realize that the car had so many problems when I bought it. Now I have to get the heater and ac to work. Lol pulling hair.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Disconnect the heater hoses (2 hoses going into the firewall). Use a garden hose to flush through the heater; first make sure the heater valve (cable-operated) is OPEN.

If you need to do some chemical flushing of the heater core, you may as well try to do that without the brand-new radiator in place. You might even get a lot of crud out from the heater core by flushing backwards & forwards & backwards again.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello Jimblake. I just put the new radiator in yesterday and did not get your reply on time. Anyways I did went ahead and do a radiator flush when I notice that the bleeder was not bleeding anything at all. Do you think I should just change out the heater core? I have my dash board out already so should I just do that. Well I'm gonna try the flush first and see what comes out of it. Then I'm going to check all the wires and plugs to see if everything is functioning properly. Car is now working just fine after installing new radiator. Hopefully I can get the bleeder to work and find a way to use a water hose. live in apartment in la kinda hard. Thanks again JimBlake!!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did you loosen that bleeder valve when you were refiling the coolant?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Pull the bleeder all the way out. Make sure the small hole in it isn't clogged.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I think it is clogged. Lots of corrosion in that area when I took the thermostat out. Going to remove the whole bleeder valve out and clean it out. thanks guys.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I removed the bleeder valve and it was pretty much clogged. Anyone have any ideas of how to clean the hole to the bleeder valve to the coolant? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Help newbe 97 accord