General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! NO A/C NO HEAT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default HELP! NO A/C NO HEAT

URGENT HELP! I go 2 school in oswego which for those who dont know is by Syracuse and also by Canada. It gets real cold up here and my 95 V6 Accord wont give me any form of heated air. Things I have noticed which may contribute to this or help some1 help me is that the compressor doesnt turn on, the previous owner told me the fuse keeps blowing but the fuse hasnt blown, A/C does not work, my mechanic told me to tell my father (who is an A/C mechanic) to do a suction job and put in new gas because there was no gas in the compressor. MY father had always told me though that normally the A/C does not affect the heat in the car so I didnt worry about it until today when I was freezing and turned on the car and no heat would come out! Why the compressor does not turn on I dont know but the pressure guages show that there is alot of pressure/gas in the pipes but when you try to release some gas only air comes out, no form of misty substances come out. PLEASE HELP!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP! NO A/C NO HEAT

The source of the hot air is the hot antifreeze warming up the air flowing through the the heater core. The source of the cold air is when the freon removes heat from the air to evaporate in the a/c evaporator.

Does any air (hot or cold) blow out of any vents?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Don't F___ with the freon lines. The low pressure line has vapor in it that you won't see. The high pressure line can have vapor, liquid or a mix, depending on how the system is run prior to messing with the valve ..... also where the valve is located in relation to the condenser coil. If you get the liquid on you, there is a good chance of getting frostbite. So don't do that.

Check your coolant level, thermostat and heater core valve to start ..... I think there are instructions in the DIY section. Look for no heat and also overheating, since a stuck thermostat can cause overheating and no heat. I always suspect the thermostat first for these symptoms.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Heat and a/c are seperate the only time they work together is when the defrosters are on. If you are low on freon the compresser will not come on. Do the blowers work? Definitly see if you are low on anti-freeze, and the thermostat should be checked or just replaced. There is also a recuirculating valve on the hose going to the heater core that could be not working right and that will stop anti-freeze from flowing through the heater core. As far as the a/c working the car is old and more then likely you have a seal that is leaking. For that to be fixed you need to put a dye in the system and locate the problem and fix it. Then vacuum the system down and add the proper refrigerent.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM

any air flow coming out of the vents ?? if not ,,there is a write up on our DIY section how to diagnose blower inop

if air blows from vents you got 2 separate issues ,,low on freon would make a/c inop..
As for no heat,,, chk coolant level, thermostat operation, heater valve operation

Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well air comes out, since its cold up here cold air blows out, but in the summer only hot air was blowing out. As far as coolant, My container has coolant in it and water as well 1:2 ratio (50/50), my thermostat appears to be fine, when i first turn the car on its cold and it slowly progresses into the middle zone and never passes the middle of the thermostat. Im not really worried about the A/C but the heat is a problem since we normally get 4-6 feet of snow in one day and it snows for weeks up here, and the freon lines iv never f...... with them I am aware though of the poss. of frost bite, my father is an A/C mechanic so he knows how to deal with that. = Basically the air that comes in my car is the same temperature as the air outside, even when i press the button that stops air flow from the outside in, and turn the heat all the way and put the fan on 4 it still blows the same air. HELP!!!! its freezing up here! lol

Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

couple of things first and foremost

Please keep your language clean ....I insist...

secondly.. try a simple thing. pull out the heater **** ,, see if it is cracked, if it is you will not be able to properly operate the heater valve.if so just replace it cost is about 6-8 dollars from the dealer,

if **** is ok, let the car warm up anf feel the lower radiator hose, if hose feels hot then t-stat is opening up, issue might be with heater valve and or cable.
manually operate the heater valve see if that helps,, let us know ..

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Please note that the thermostat is a bi-metalic operated disk in the coolant path, not the temperature gauge. The car will function properly without it, only it will take longer to heat up. It seems that you are mis-interpreting the part ... I may be wrong though.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The low radiator hose would be located around where? (im a noob), My father believes its a valve but then again he is 4 hours away from me so he isnt much help.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

The lower radiator hose is the large (~2inch diameter hose) that feeds into the bottom of the radiator. I would think that your car would overheat if your thermostat was stuck closed. The test is simple to do.

I attached a pic of the heater setup in your accord.

The heater valve cable is in the engine compartment under where the a/c lines go into the cabin and maybe a bit more towards the center of the car. When you turn the temperature control dial in the car, this valve will allow hot coolant into the heater core. Try having someone turn the temperature dial in the car and see if the cable turns the valve. It could be frozen, so try spraying some PBblaster or WD40 to help loosen it up. You can also try turning it by hand. This is likely the valve that your father was thinking about.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/E7791A629DE04DDF8CB3AAD5780E38D1.jpg[/IMG]