General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with noise please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Default Help with noise please!

Hello, this is my Accord EX 2005, 3.0 L, it has 100K now. The problem I'm having since I bought it last year, is the whining noise.
I started changing the PS "O" ring because it just to have foam in the PS reservoir, next the PS pump, the noise is still present but the foam is gone.
After that, decided to change the auto belt tensioner, then the serpentine belt. Noise still there.
I decided to do a flush to the system, used original Honda PS fluid, noise still there.
I used a home made stethoscope and found that the noise is coming as a vibration from the belt tensioner. The new one do the same as the old one but don't know why.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I was not able upload the video, so please email me so I can send a video.
Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly due to the idler pulley.

Honda TSB 08-045

Old 06-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Thank you Redbull, that TSB talks about the timing belt. I removed the serpentine belt and the noise was gone, the engine was so quiet.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

I've had issues with lower quality serpentine belts (including new/out of the box belts); upgraded to a Gates belt and noise was gone.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check whether the auto-tensioner pointer is oscillating much between engine stopped and engine running position. It may be the replacement belt is too loose. Someone posted a similar problem on another forum where there was a difference in belt length between different brands of serpentine belt.

good luck

Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replay, here are a couple pictures that show the belt tension according to the marks on the tensioner. Not sure if that is fine. The still picture shows that I installed the Gates one.

Attached Thumbnails Help with noise please!-engine-off.jpg   Help with noise please!-engine-working.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 PM

Looks like belt tension is in acceptable range and doesn't change. Not your problem.

Any chance the PS inlet oring is still leaking? This would account for the noise. PS fluid bubbles usually cause uneven steering force also.

A PS system leak can also cause lowering of PS fluid level until air is pulled in at the reservoir.

good luck

Old 06-24-2014, 11:00 PM

Hi Texas H, there just to be bubbles when I started to look for the problem, but they are gone already. I just see slight turbulence on the surface of the fluid.
The noise is present when the engine is idle and during acceleration, it changes according to the engine revs changes. Same if the A/C is working or not.
I remember the bubbles just to be there at all the times.
I was wondering if any of the loads of the belt, alternator or PS, is way too much and causes stress to the belt.
The A/C pulley is free and well lubricated, no noisy.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 AM

You may have a misaligned pulley causing the noise. See following video.

good luck

Old 06-25-2014, 02:54 PM

That is an interesting issue. I'll check that tonight when I'm back to home. I'll keep you posted of the findings.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Help with noise please!