General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, AT problem, throwing Code 15 and Code 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Default Help, AT problem, throwing Code 15 and Code 4

I have a 91 accord lx wagon. I got this problem now with my automatic transmission. It seems like its slipping when going from 1st to 2nd, its like its in neutral and it can't find the right gears. The speedometer is not working either. I pulled the codes and it listed a code 4, which is a speed sensor, and a code 15.

Both of these problems started happening after I drove on the highway. Specifically it was after I downshifted to pass a semi that was in the right lane. It was at 4,000 rpms at about 55 mph. Now my transmission is acting bad.

It doesn't slip all the time it just seems to whenever the speedometer stops working.

Last Fall I had the same problem except it was only with the speed sensor. I found out one of the pins on the wiring connector going to it was completely missing. To fix it I put some old wiring in the place of the pin and it worked. Now the problem has come back to haunt me.

In my official Helms manual, a code 15 for S light is,

-Disconnected NM speed sensor connector
-Short or open in NM speed sensor wire
-Faulty NM speed sensor

Symptom - Transmission jerks hard when shifting

Code 4 S light is the exact same thing except it has a different symptom,

-Disconnected NM speed sensor connector
-Short or open in NM speed sensor wire
-Faulty NM speed sensor

-Symptom - Lock-ip clutch does not engage

I did check the ohms resistance of the speed sensor as the Honda manual told me to and it registered 1091 ohms. The manual said it should have been a 400-600 ohms reading. Does this mean my speed sensor is fried? If it is not bad, the manual instructs me to check the TCU terminals for continuity as well.

I think it was the faulty speed sensor connector with the missing tooth that caused the problem. I did measure the connector and found it had a 17 ohms reading, so there was continuity. I found one on ebay. I should be able to graft this into the wiring harness easily right?

VSS Speed Sensor Wiring Plug Honda Civic Integra vtec 3 Wire Acura | eBay

This a 3 WIRE VSS VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR WIRING PLUG FROM A OBD1 1995 ACURA INTEGRA B18b1 LS

Attached Thumbnails Help, AT problem, throwing Code 15 and Code 4-%24-kgrhqnhjfye-k9slcrubptcuity0g%7E%7E60_12.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Can you just go to a bone yard and "pick" a connector....and a vss?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Can you just go to a bone yard and "pick" a connector....and a vss?
Maybe but i've never been to one before. Its too late now I ordered the connector and I also ordered a speed sensor for 8.99.

This guy on Honda Tech said that 2 of the 3 sensors could also be causing the weird shifting. The NM sensor and the NC sensor. He said to pull them and clean them off.

Check it out here,

Help, AT problem, throwing Code 15 and Code 4 - Honda-Tech

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I don't even have to click the link.....I check in over there a bit .

Lets see what the vss and new wires get. Yes you can do as mike says and pull the sensors and clean any metal off then ends just for grins.