General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!!!!!!!speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default help!!!!!!!speedometer not working

i just recently bought a 95 accord ex 4 door and i realized that the speedometer isnt working.. was curious of the reasons why it may not be working have never had the issue with other cars i have had??? could it the VSS or something different??? if it is the VSS where is that located and whats the easiest way to replace this??? any insite would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

The VSS is on the tranny, kinda below the thermostat, in the box labeled E-6.
#2 is the speedometer gear & #1 is the holder for that gear.

Does the cruise-control work?
Does the check-engine light work (bulb check when you first turn on the key)?
Does the check-engine light come on when driving?

Cruise-control uses the VSS so if that works the VSS is OK.
ECU watches the VSS, so a bad VSS would set off a CEL.

If the other stuff is OK, then you're left with bad connections at the back of the cluster (or wiring between).

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-17-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Does the entire cluster not work (i.e. tach, speedometer, gas gauge, temp gauge) or is it just the speedometer?
As Jimblake said if the cruise control works it is not the VSS.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

the cluster works fine except the mph, cruise is fine, no throwing any CEL, when car is turned off the mph jumps to between 40-50 than goes back down to 0... ill check the cluster this weekend to see if the wiring is loose and if nothing else ill take take it to honda to have it looked at????

Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM

Likely it is the speedometer itself. I would NOT take it to a dealership. they will just throw in a new cluster with 0 miles on it and charge you enough money that you will have to sell the fillings out of your teeth in order to pay for it. Then they will probably tell you that a bunch of other stuff is not working right and before you know it they will be trying to charge you more than the car is worth. I think they do this to try to convince you that you need to trade your car in to them and buy a new one from their dealership.

Here are a few options:

1) Find a speedometer repair shop locally and get a price quote.

2) Find a speedometer repair shop on the internet, pull the cluster, and ship it to them. I think you can get it done that way for around $100.

3) Find another cluster from a junkyard and hope it works.

4) Look on eBay and find one. Many sellers will even roll the mileage to whatever you want it to say - so you could swap out clusters and the mileage reading would still be fairly accurate. When I was searching eBay I was finding them in the $40-$50 range. I was going to swap mine out, but decided it was time for a new car and didn't feel like hassling with it.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Working cruise means the VSS is good. At some point the signal from the VSS splits off for the cruise and for the ECU. Somewhere "downstream" after those split off, the signal gets lost.

Wouldn't hurt to check for loose wiring in the connector at the back of the cluster.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM

If I had to guess that will be a pretty spendy repair since you will probably have to buy a whole new gauge cluster. The speedo is integrated into the cluster and is most likely not sold from Honda as a separate part. You would be a lot better off going to a junk yard or buying a used cluster off e-bay. The miles will not match but if you have some basic mechanical skills, replacing a gauge cluster is not that hard just requires a phillips head screw driver and some time. I replaced the cluster on my 89' in less then an hour, pretty much "plug and play".

Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

just called a junk yard and am goin to buy a cluster for like $65 hopefully that fixes the issue if not ill let you all know
thanks for all the help k guys

Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM

That's a better deal than I could find on eBay when I just searched. Dang these things have gone up. They are running anywhere from $79.00 to $149.99 now.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

does anybody know if it has to be model specific or no???? went to go and get it and was a lx and was told that it has to be model specific or it wouldnt work

Quick Reply: help!!!!!!!speedometer not working