General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - strange noise after new brake pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Default Help - strange noise after new brake pads/rotors

Today I did a front brake job - 2001 V6 Accord EX - complete with new pads and resurfaced rotors. There was one goof in the process.

Me, being the goofball that I am, had my dad apply the brake pedal to lock the wheels while I was removing the rotor screws, not realizing that I had already removed the pads. He pushed the pedal all the way to the floor. I didn't think anything of it at the time - just compressed the caliper piston back in and went back to work.

When I went to put the freshly resurfaced rotors back on, I noticed an alarming amount - 4-5 oz - of brake fluid that had spilled on the floor (I had not flushed or added any fluid). On closer inspection, I saw it came from the area where the master cylinder meets the brake booster. I cleaned the leaked fluid off and went back to work.

When the job was finished, we went to test drive / seat the pads, and every time I applied the brakes I heard this whistle-like sound from the driver front of the car. It sounds like a bottle rocket taking off (before the bang).
After a long 30 mile drive, the brakes function great, but the noise is still there. No more leaks around the booster, but I'm concerned due to the noise.

I plan to bleed the brakes next weekend. Any ideas on where I should start if that doesn't take away the odd whistle noise?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 AM

The fluid you saw around the booster was overflow from compressing the pistons back in all the way. When the factory fills the resovoir, the brakes are already seated, meaning the piston has been slightly extended. Pressing it all the way back in tends to over fill the resovoir. So no worries there. I'm not quite sure what your noise could be though. I'd almost have to hear it myself to tell.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:34 AM

let me re examine the noise issue. Did you bouy new rotors that were machined, or just resurface your old ones? If they're new, did you remember to clean them with brake parts cleaner to remove the oil coating that the factory applies to avoid rust? Now, with that out of the way, did you put any type of anti-squeal stuff on the backs of the pads? I know some come with the stick on plates, but in my years I've found that even those aren't the greatest. So I usually put Brake Disc Quiet on the backs too. Also, if it did have the sticky plates, are they on perfectly straight? Sometimes they have a tendency to come loose and drag on the rotor. Hopefully this helps out some. If not, I'm lost. And I've been a mechanic for over 12 years.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the responses!
I actually had the existing rotors turned.
The brake pads I used (Prostop) came with the shims and a little tube of grease, so I used both.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM

My honda is making the same bottle rocket noise after getting new brakes. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 PM

My noise went away after 3-4 months. Not sure what the exact cause was, but I imagine it was air in the master cylinder? But anyhow, I'm not too concerned now, as it seems to have cured itself.