General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Accord Brake Shimmy/Shake after Changing Rotors and Pads.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
ssc280
Unregistered
Default 1995 Accord Brake Shimmy/Shake after Changing Rotors and Pads.

Hi, I recently changed the front Rotors and Pads in my 1995 Accord. I'm still getting a slight shake when I do light braking at higher speeds. When I brake hard it feels fine. It just doesn't feel like something I should be getting after putting in new pads and rotors. I've looked things over the best I can and everything seems to look fine. It's drving me crazy. I did this along with the help of a professional, a friend of the family is a mechanic and we did it together. I have to say it was mostly him, but I did watch the process and helped out where I could. I'd really prefer not to call this guy and ask for more help and he fairly far away. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Could this have something to do with the wheel bearings? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1995 Accord Brake Shimmy/Shake after Changing Rotors and Pads.

a couple of things you can try But first off input more info about your car dx/lx/ex..etc etc . and put it in the signature

Ok,, drive the car as you normally do, slow down,, but instead of braking with the pedal,, just use the emergency brake ,, if you feel a pulsation, you got out of round drums or warped rear rotors
if no pulsation, assuming everything was put together properly and tight,, you might have warped frt rotors,,
I have seen it a # of times when non factory rotors are used , especially not good quality rotors

Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
ssc280
Unregistered

Hi, I don't think it's coming from the rear because it was something I never noticed until I had this work done and we didn't touch the rear. I think it's coming from the Driver side front wheel. I put my older pads in, which still had a fair amount of life left, and it feels better, but it is still fairly noticeable. I also did drive with the newer pads for at least two weeks giving them some time to break in. I also think they were cheap pads.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Machineing the rotors with an on the car brake lathe may smooth it up.