General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to purchase brake rotors and pads for 1999 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Default Where to purchase brake rotors and pads for 1999 Accord

I have a 1999 Accord EX with 180,000 miles. I’m going to allow my son and his high school auto shop class to replace the front rotors and pads. My son and I have done plenty of work on my BMW M Roadster so doing brakes on an Accord will be walk in the park for him.

My questions are, where I should purchase the rotors and pads? Remember this is a family car so a good set of replacement rotors and pads is what I’m looking with “no” squeaks or squeals when done. What do I need other than the pads and rotors. On my M Roadster we had to replace shims, springs, sensors, caliper bushings…the list goes on.

I have a Bap-Geon.com where I live and I could go to NAPA or…?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Rockauto.com, the pads will come with any hardware needed, nice selection and they are split up by grades...economy, performance, etc...

Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

100% agree with Rock Auto.
In the short time I have owned my 92 Accord EX, I have gotten an axle shaft, front brake pads, 1 brake rotor, tie rod end, control arm, and swaybar link kits from them. Cheapest alternative by far...even though I missed out on their site sponsor 5% discount deal.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Im sure some others will diss but Ive had good luck with my duralast brakes and rotors from autozone. The brakes have a lifetime warranty just take them off and they give you a new pair never had a problem getting the replacement pair.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator
Talking A|nd So Have I...

Originally Posted by moey
Im sure some others will diss but Ive had good luck with my duralast brakes and rotors from autozone. The brakes have a lifetime warranty just take them off and they give you a new pair never had a problem getting the replacement pair.

For 18 years I have been getting my pads and rotors at AutoZone and the products holdup..when they do get worn out, then you go get another set of pads and they are Free because of the lifetime warranty..sets me free from buying pads for all of my cars and my sons 4 cars and my daughters car in Phoenix...dang that adds up to 9 cars with Free liftime pads...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Where to purchase brake rotors and pads for 1999 Accord-427149_421099727936242_123375040_n.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

I've really liked Hawk HPS pads (from TireRack). Stronger braking power. More dust. Stronger braking power. Wears out the rotors more quickly. But did I mention stronger braking power...

But for my daughters car I got some Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads from either AutoZone or Advanced Auto (I can't remember which place I got them). She doesn't do the high-performance stuff. But they've been really good so far.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I changed over the the Centric Premium e-coated rotors with the Wagner TQ Ceramic pads over 18 months ago (22k miles) and to look at them you would think they have been on only 5k miles.
The rotor surface is just as smooth as glass. Just like 0.005-0.008" of unworn edge along the perimeter where the pad doesn't completely press the rotor. Very little brake dust on the wheels ever and I think that happened during the first 1000 miles or so.
They sell them at Tire Rack or Amazon.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I got front ceramic pads and slotted rotors for 50 bucks on ebay, they've been on my car for about 5 months and I do some serious braking, and I could still see the non directional finish on the rotors. Good stuff. I bought from a Prime choice auto parts seller

Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by razingkane
I have a 1999 Accord EX with 180,000 miles. I’m going to allow my son and his high school auto shop class to replace the front rotors and pads. My son and I have done plenty of work on my BMW M Roadster so doing brakes on an Accord will be walk in the park for him.

My questions are, where I should purchase the rotors and pads? Remember this is a family car so a good set of replacement rotors and pads is what I’m looking with “no” squeaks or squeals when done. What do I need other than the pads and rotors. On my M Roadster we had to replace shims, springs, sensors, caliper bushings…the list goes on.

I have a Bap-Geon.com where I live and I could go to NAPA or…?
I've been taking my Hondas to the same independent Honda/Acura repair shop since 1992. I received a notification card from them for my 180k maintenance. I told them about letting my son do the brake and they told me don't buy Honda rotors as they are stupidly expensive. They said the same thing people said in this forum.....Autozone rotors. The said they have had great success using Autozone rotors and Honda pads. Seeing how they have done my brakes for decades I bought the rotors and pads from them and my son and auto class will replace them on Monday.

Thank you all for the brake advice.

Last edited by razingkane; 10-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

One thing to look for on aftermarket rotors...
Honda rotors have a pair of threaded hole that don't seem to do anything. When the rotor is seized onto the hub with corrosion, you put a couple bolts in those holes & use them to jack the rotor off of the hub. Some aftermarket rotors have those, some don't.

I've been using Brembo rotors for a long time, always have been happy with them.

Put some anti-seize around the hole in the center of the rotor, so after a couple years you can get it back off...