General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Helppp! My Windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Unhappy Helppp! My Windows

Dont roll up right i cant firgure out the promblem doesnt anyone can help me please

Attached Thumbnails Helppp! My Windows-window.jpg  
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

What year accord are we dealing with here?

Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Looks to be a 5th or 6th gen......

Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Its a 1996 Honda Accord

Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM

looks like the glass is off the track.
Is it power windows or manual?

If it power windows:
1. Do you hear the motor running when you press the switch to lower or raise the window?
2. If you hear the motor running, does it make different sound than before(when the window was working right)? or may be different from the other window motors?

Probable causes:

If you do not hear the motor running then you should check the switches and wires, motor itself as well.
You can proceed after you find what is causing the issue.

If you do hear the motor running:
Take off the door panels(be careful of the door light cable, its a little short, you might snap it) and check the cables that bind round the motor, it might be warped/broken/almost broken.
Check if the window is on track. Clean the window tracks and spray WD40 on the tracks and put the window back on track, and see if works fine.

I have had this issue with my passenger side window after a week I bought the car, the cable was warped in my case. I replaced the window motor with the regulator. I got the aftermarket one though, it was too expensive to get it from Honda.

If you have manual window, skip the switch, wire and motor part, everything else should still be the same.

I am sure there are tons of pictures all over the place about taking off the door panels and window motor. I did it myself with the help of pictures and tutorials off the internet. And it was my first DIY.

Hope I at least pointed you in the right direction.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 PM

its power window yeahh i think its off track what do i do
and i think i need those plastic clips for window do you know where i can get them at

Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

The window could have jumped off track. The cables that drive the motor could have broken. You will have to remove the door panel to see what is going on.

Download the 94 shop manual from the spooner link posted in the Online Manuals thread in the main DIY section. That will show you how to remove the door panel with pictures.

It isn't too tough. From what I remember, it is two screws to remove. You have to unhook the metal rod that connects to the inside door handle from behind. That will be the toughest part. Be careful not to break that plastic piece that holds it in place. Pry out the rest of the panel with a putty knife, because it is held in by plastic clips that snap into the door. Disconnect the electrical connectors. Lift up the plastic sheet.