General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesistation on acceleration, bogging

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Default Hesistation on acceleration, bogging

99 Accord EX 4DR V-tec ULEV California F23 auto
AEM V2 Intake
DCM header
OBX Underdrive Pulleys

Have done
Newer plugs, wires, ignition rotor, Timing and balance shaft belts, Cleaned throttlebody, Lucas fuel cleaner regularly, Oil and Transmission fluid serviced regularly, no leaks, etc.

I have done all the regular maintenance on this vehicle and a persistant problem is when the pedal is slammed it takes a second to fire off and even then the acceleration feels smooth but slower than it should. Going 10-15 mph and slammed causes the same effect. It seems to think too long and by then runs like there's too much fuel or air? The car idles fine and I'm getting 32-34 MPG highway, so I think it's a sensor or something mechanical. No codes and no check engine light. I have never adjusted the valves because they have never made noise, can that be it? Help will appreciated. I drove another 98 v-tec accord auto with no modifications and it felt alot more pepping off the line than my mine, it was not ULEV though.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Hesistation on acceleration, bogging

auto trans problems?

Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 PM

that's exactly my question as well.... is this an automatic? is the car showing any other issues?

Old 06-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Like most AT's, my car shifts a bit hard on warm up (1-2 mins.), but is fine the rest of the time, no slipping etc.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Just a note; Is there any tests I can do to rule the AT as the culprit?

Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

car should not shift hard when cold. car shold hold each gear longer. might want to change fluid and start saving for a new trans. FIRST sign of failire is shifts that are noticably harder and then gear slamming

Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 PM

It's not shifting hard enough for me to think the tranny is going out and fluid has always been changed every 20,000 with no noticeable material in the fluid. It gives a slight tug when shifting cold, I park in the driveway so the fluid is probably settling to the back of the tranny causing the slightly hard shift while fluid circulates. Like I said before it seems to be thinking too long when the pedal is mashed and the tranny doesn't do anything werid during these episodes. The engine sounds like it's swallowing air then slowly burns through it. Also, when I'm going faster than 30 Mph there's no problem at all.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:54 AM

I may be totally off-base on this suggestion, but have you cleaned the EGR ports? I read an article on how when the EGR ports become clogged with carbon it can cause sluggish response and a hesitation at around 1800 RPM during acceleration. Between yours, mine, and my brother-in-law's '95 EX a stiff shifting automatic tranny seems pretty commonplace. I would far rather mine shift firmly than to slip. My car runs a little sluggish at times too and it's a '96... I'm planning on cleaning the EGR ports on mine at some point... just haven't gotten to it yet. Hope this helps...

Old 06-27-2006, 12:29 PM

The EGR didn't even come to mind, but sounds like a definite possibility. Too much exthuast pouring in to the manifold at idle could very well be my problem. When the plunger on the EGR gets caked with deposits it has a hard time opening and shutting thus causing, possibly, acceration problems. THANK YOU!!! I will check and advise this evening.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM

I went ahead removed and cleaned the EGR. It seemed to have made my idle even smoother after warm up, but acceleration is still the same. I did notice that my oil was very low (almost 2 quarts, opps!) I usually let it go 5000 mile between oil changes because I drive all freeway. I've just been an idiot and have not been checking it.

Quick Reply: Hesistation on acceleration, bogging