General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation of gear change and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Default Hesitation of gear change and rough idle

Hi Gurus,

the car is 95 Accord auto transmission with 223K

Recent work done: Timing belt change, fuel filter change, speed sensor change

the car always had a rough shifting. changing ATF with genuine didnt work.

recently i have found that the when going downhill the car hesitates to shift gear for example for a downhill from 40 -80 Km it stays in maybe third gear and after a long time it changes gear. also engine idle is fluctuating when breaks applied. for example car rpm is 2000 and its running. if break is applied rpm goes down to 1000 smoothly then for a second goes to 1500 then goes to idle. before going complete idle the rpm jumps a bit (from 800 to 1000) and settles down. when the shift is in parking the rmp goes very high at about 1200. No code on the ECU

May be i have asked stupid question but any help from the gurus will be highly appreciated. Please help.

Last edited by mortuzahasan; 06-30-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mortuzahasan
recently i have found that the when going downhill the car hesitates to shift gear for example for a downhill from 40 -80 Km it stays in maybe third gear and after a long time it changes gear.
Honda automatics have something called "grade logic" that keeps the tranmission in a lower gear under certain circumstances. I noticed it when decending a mountain, going about 40mph, and tapping the brake, the trans will shift to 3rd from 4th. It's disconcerting and I don't like it but it doesn't seem to cause any harm.

Originally Posted by mortuzahasan
also engine idle is fluctuating when breaks applied. for example car rpm is 2000 and its running. if break is applied rpm goes down to 1000 smoothly then for a second goes to 1500 then goes to idle. before going complete idle the rpm jumps a bit (from 800 to 1000) and settles down. when the shift is in parking the rmp goes very high at about 1200. No code on the ECU
You may have a leaking power brake booster. Disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the engine and see if the problem remains. Also, see the Common DIY and Info. Threads sticky at the top of this forum for info on cleaning the IACV and adjusting the FITV.

Last edited by Roader; 06-30-2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest you check the auto trans throttle feedback cable adjustment. Too tight adjustment can cause harse up/downshifts. Adjust cable at AT end until trans throttle input lever plate and throttle plate begin to move simultaneously.

Adjustment is described in shop manual. See DIY forum "Online Manuals" post for links to download Accord 94-97 manual.

good luck

Old 07-01-2014, 05:05 PM

Thanks Guys, will do as your advise and provide you update

Old 07-01-2014, 06:45 PM

Guys, have a question as i dont know very well about car mechanism

you know the air filter, there is a square box where the filter is sitting in. on the four corners of the box, one side two corners have nuts and bolts. other side two corner dont have anything as the nut holder plastic may be damaged. would this be a cause of vacuum leak?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Not a vacuum leak, because the air filter box is upstream of the throttle body.

But if the box is loose then it lets un-filtered air into the engine.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Hi Guys, as per your advise i have cleaned IVAC and FITV valves. IVAC was clogged with carbon. didnt start the car yet as i am still working to flush radiators. i have two question if you could kindly answer.

1. i have seen traces of green coolant at the thermostat housing. how can i fix that. changing thermostat would help?

2. I would like to clean EGR passage way as lots of tutorial advises to do so. but i couldn't fins the passage way. lots of video shows it's under the fuel rail but nothing is there. btw the car is in Australia and steering is in RHS

Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Gasket may need replacing that surrounds the thermostat and seals the joint. It must be correctly positioned around perimeter of thermostat and aligned correctly to thermostat housing.

See EGR Cleanout file attached.

good luck

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EGR Cleanout Proc.pdf (591.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Thank you Sir,
But i wonder if i see the EGR service plate under fuel rail. when the fuel rail is on i dont see any sign of EGR serice plate. all 3/4 pipe lines from intake manifold goes direct to engine. the car is Accord 95 EXi with F22B3 engine. shall i look for any other place?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Does your F22B3 have an EGR valve?

A picture would be helpful.

Quick Reply: Hesitation of gear change and rough idle