General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hi-Flow Cat!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:32 PM
hyperphase
Unregistered
Default Hi-Flow Cat!?

I am looking for the best hi-flow cat to replace the stock Cat (i am getting the nasty 420 error and the CEL is on)

I just ordered the DEC HiFlow Cat, 2new O2 sensors, and the Borla Cat Back Exhaust!

What do you guys prefer?

LTM! THX!

RJ

Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Default RE: Hi-Flow Cat!?

One thing to keep an eye on is that at times high flow cat's don't "filter" the exhaust as well and you may get an error again. If that happens search for an O2 bypass, or 02 enumerator and just disconnect the post CAT O2 sensor and hook it to the bypass then clear your codes and you should be fine from there... Sounds like it's going to be a nice setup though! I am guessing your state doesn't have smog tests?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM
hyperphase
Unregistered

oh... we have emission tests. I am in atlanta, and ia m just about to be tested... I may test the stock system before installing the new cat and exhaust... just clear the codes and maybe put in new O2 sensors if it fails...

at least that will buy me a year lol....

Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I recently installed an Eastern Catalytic "drop-in" replacement in my 99 Subaru Forester due to persistent P0420. There was an extra bung on the forward catalytic converter (2 in Subarus) that caused some grief to find a plug (spark plug was all I could find) so make sure you don't have that problem before you get started. A scan of rear O2 sensor voltage trace w/ OBD2 scanner shows the correct, almost constant voltage trace w/ the new converter.

The following link describes a mechanical fix for P0420 that works very well. I used this on my daughter's 01 Celica and it worked fine to smooth out the O2 voltage pattern and eliminate the dreaded CEL coming on. It won't help pass an emissions test and might cause some problems if someone actually looked at the underside of the car. It's illegal to install. I intend this asa bridge till I install a replacement converter, which I have bought but not installed.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5468

good luck

Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 PM
hyperphase
Unregistered

how do you like the eastern cat? i was in between going with the eastern and the DEC... did it have 2 ports for the 2 O2 sensors? or did you have to mod it? and how is the flow on it? did it pass your emissions test?

thanks for the infos!

rj

Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: hyperphase

how do you like the eastern cat? i was in between going with the eastern and the DEC... did it have 2 ports for the 2 O2 sensors? or did you have to mod it? and how is the flow on it? did it pass your emissions test?

thanks for the infos!

rj
how do you like the eastern cat?
It was a pain to install, particularly as it's sold as "direct fit replacement". Heat shields fit but not good and requires hammering/bending. I had to cut a hole in one heat shield to allow the spark plug I installed in the unused bung to penetrate the heat shield.

did it have 2 ports for the 2 O2 sensors?
It had 3 ports, two on forward converter, one forward of converter at correct position and one aft of converter that was apparently for another model. I only needed the forward bung, so I had to plug the rear bung w/ a spark plug. Rear converter had bung in correct position.

Performance based on monitoring 2nd O2 sensor is fine so far and P0420 has not returned. I'm sure it will pass TX emissions test as they only check that CEL is OFF and all emission tests are complete. They used to check tailpipe emissions w/ OBD1, but no longer do so on OBD2. Guess they trust the OBD2 monitoring systems.

regards