General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high pitched whine from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:58 PM
dsonny
Unregistered
Default high pitched whine from engine area

Hi all,

I'm driving a '97 Accord LX (5-spd, 187K miles) that within the past week has been emitting a high pitched whining sound from the engine area. I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the radio or speakers. Any suggestions? Here's what I've been observing:

1) Whining starts a few seconds after I start the engine. Whining does not start if I turn the ignition to the 'ON' position without starting the engine.
2) The pitch and volume of the whining does not change with engine rpm. The pitch only changes briefly when the A/C unit kicks in.
3) When I turn off the engine, the whining persists for anywhere from 5-30 seconds and then dies off. If I stand outside of the car, I can hear the whining even with the windows closed (which makes me think it's coming from the engine area). I don't believe any fans are running during this time.
4) The whining is totally unaffected by whatever I do with the radio (turn it on/off, adjust volume, etc.).

I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: high pitched whine from engine area

OPEN THE HOOD....then run and shut off the engine

Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
dsonny
Unregistered

I've done this but it's difficult to pinpoint the source of the whining.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 AM

start the engine and open the hood; then take a piece of wood about 2"x2"x2' and touch one end to various engine components(power steering pump, water pump, alternator, ac compressor,etc) while touching the other end to your ear. sound moves through the block of wood faster than air, so when you touch the component making the noise you should be able to hear it much louder thru the block of wood.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO STICK THE BLOCK OF WOOD OR YOUR HANDS IN ANY MOVING PARTS

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Check to see that you are not low on power steering fluid.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:38 PM

it sounds like one of the cooling fans is noisy.you say it happens after you shut the engine off from 5-30 seconds(fans can come on after engine shut off), and when the a/c comes on(fans start up)

turn the key on, engine off. turn the a/c on, blower motor on 1. this should cause the fans to run.

found the source of the noise?

if you can take a sound clip. use your cell phone camcorder and email it to yourself :P