General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitched squeeling from engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default High pitched squeeling from engine compartment

Hey Everyone,

First time poster here, but anyway, I have a 93 Accord LX that occasionally when I start the car I get a real high pitched squeeling noise from the engine compartment. It last for about 10-20 seconds and then stops just before I can open up the hood and try to see where it's coming from. It doesn't do it all the time though, just out of the blue it does it. It started a couple of weeks ago and only has done it a few times, but I'd like to nip this problem in the bud before it gets to serious if it's something I can do myself. I'm not that confindent when It comes to major auto repair. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: High pitched squeeling from engine compartment

Check the accessory belts. One or both are loose.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hopefully, tightening the belts will fix your problem.

However, if it does not check the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. The rubber can separate from the pulley and allow pulley to slip relative to inner body. This could cause a squeal under startup load. It may not hurt anything, but will get worse and eventually your alternator light will come on due to inadequate charge. You can confirm by marking the outer pulley and inner pulley w/ a radial mark from a black felt marker. If the mark starts to separate at the rubber line, the pulley is slipping.

good luck

Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys, will take a look as soon as I can, if I can just get my daughter to leave it long enough for me to check it out. Will get back to you all when I do.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I checked the belts and the upper belt, I guess it's for the power steering was a little loose, and the other belt seems tight. I tightened the one and we'll see what happens. As for the balancer, I'm assuming that it's the lower pulley, and I have no idea how to check that. It's pretty tight in there, do I have to take the tire off to get a good look at it. I can basically just see the top of it if it is the right one. And then the wife comes home and tells me the driver's window has fallen off the track. I took the door panel off as far as I can get it off, I just can't figure out how to disconnect the door handle and remove the panel completly, I'm affraid I'll break something and then really be screwed. Anyway I found out that the forward mount bracket on the window ( It looks like the bracket is glued directly to the window. ) anyway, the insert for the bolt pulled right out of the bracket. Will I have to get a whole new window? And how the heck do you take the door panel off, it's irritating the hell out of me. And besides all that, the motor mounts need changed.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Only way to access the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley is to raise the car (use jackstand for a safety support), remove tire, lower driver's side of underbody dust cover, and mark the pulley radially across the rubber sandwich layer. If this marks begins to separate circumferentially, you know the pulley rubber is slipping.

good luck

Old 03-30-2008, 10:16 AM

1) I had a belt issue a couple weeks back when the weather was cold. The belts would squeal when I would turn the car on and also when I had the lights, heater and my foot on the brake. I would just shut things off at the red light until I fixed it. lol I tightened it and it is fine now.
2) I have the same issue with my window. For the door handle I pulled the handle to open it and there is a rod that hooks into the handle at the pivot point. I wound up snapping whatever plastic part was around it since it seemed non functional and unimportant. You could probably do it without snapping anything. The rod has to be slid up and out of the handle hinge are.
You'll have take out the screw in the slot where you pull the door when you close it. It is under a little tab. There is also a screw behind the door handle that has to be taken out and you should take out the small cover that is near the mirror at the corner of teh window. The window controls should be able to pop up (don't force it in case I missed something). There should also be a small tab that pops out and is about the size of a dime. You can use a screw driver or pry tool to pry the bottom first. You'll have to disconnect the window switches and put those aside. Lift the panel up and over the door lock and don't forget to unplug the light at the bottom of the door. i think I got it most of it. I recommend the Haynes book.

........just realized you had a 93 but it might be the same concept for the handle.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I tightened both belts, took me a little bit to figure out how to tighten the altenator belt but I got it, It hasn't squeeled since. But as for the door panel, I don't have a screw behind the door handle, and I was able to get behind the panel to pop out the door rod, but I ended up breaking a piece off of the retainer clip, luckily there was still enough there to hold it in place when I put it back in, but I still couldn't get the panel off. It looked like it was still attached to the door by some clips coming off around the handle, I was affraid to try and pull the handle out because it didn't seem to want to disconnect and I didn't want to break anything. I was able to put the window up and just tape over the window switch just so I wouldn't lower it by accident, at least until I can get it fixed. And is the Haynes book like the Chilton. The Chilton book I have ranges from 84-95 and covers all the honda makes.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Both those manuals have their drawbacks. The Haynes is nice, because it deals with only your generation. Nothing beats a shop manual though. There is a link in the DIY section for online manuals, and you can get one for a 91 accord. It is a large PDF, and not very easy to navigate, but it is helpful.

I think that there are two screws holding the door panel in place. One is behind the door release and the other one is in the groove where you shut the door.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I looked again and I did see a screw holding the door handle face plate on, don't know how I missed it, probably just mad that the window broke. It seems like my car breaks down, I get it fixed, and then my truck breaks down, I get that fixed and then it's back to the car breaking down again, it's like a vicious circle that never ends. But back to the original post. I mentioned I tightened the belts but I guess it didn't solve the problem. Started the car this morning and it came back, and I found out that if I turn off the A/C the noise goes away. Turn it back on and it comes back and then eventually quits after I guess it's warmed up or what ever. I just had the a/c compressor changed a couple of months back, could it be going bad already. Can you overtighten the belts?