General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLY COW-

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:05 PM
mymunkee1
Unregistered
Default HOLY COW-

[:-]WELL- I HAVE AN 88 ACCORD LXI THAT THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT IN...UNFORTUNATELY, THE YUTZ THAT TRIED TO REPLACE IT SAYS HE "ROUNDED OFF" A BOLT THAT HOLDS THE CASING TO THE HEAD? OR WHEREVER- HOW DO I PUT THE NEW ONE IN NOW?? THANKS

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Default RE: HOLY COW-

What bolt did he screw up? did he just hash the threads on it or what?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
mymunkee1
Unregistered

hi-thanks for the reply! iam a single, disabled mom w/2 little girls...definatly not a mechanical type, but willing to learn!! Anyway, with that said, I havent even looked under the hood, but he says the bolt is stuck or broke off flush and needs tapped?? or something??

Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 PM

There are screw and bolt extractors for both rough edged and broken off bolts & screws. One such product is called an easy out. If you have some basic tools you may be able to remove the offending bolt/screw yourself. If not ask a mechanically inclined friend.
Good luck Mom, we're rooting for you.

That's just the removal then tapping new threads into the old hole may be required for a new bolt.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A tap cuts threads in a hole ..... when threadlock is used, a tap can clean/recut the threads. The compliment is a die that cuts the threads on the bolt.

The tap is basically a bolt with a sharp cut down the length of the threads, usually made of hardened steel so it is stronger than the metal being threaded.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mymunkee1

[:-]WELL- I HAVE AN 88 ACCORD LXI THAT THE WATER PUMP WENT OUT IN...UNFORTUNATELY, THE YUTZ THAT TRIED TO REPLACE IT SAYS HE "ROUNDED OFF" A BOLT THAT HOLDS THE CASING TO THE HEAD? OR WHEREVER- HOW DO I PUT THE NEW ONE IN NOW?? THANKS
Do you or one of your friends have a digital camera? If so, could you possibly post here a photo of the water pump thatshows which bolt broke or rounded off?

Afteryoutake the photo, if you don't already know how to post it on this thread, let us know and wewill tell you how.Thenwe canlikely tell you exactlyhow to fix what's wrong.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 PM

if it is one of the 4, 6mm bolts ( 10mm head ) that holds the water pump to the block,, it is not such an easy job to drill it out , there is not very much room,, one would need an angle drill, remove the mount and raise the engine patialy up to get more room , then hopefully it can be removed using an easy out , if not, it all needs to be drilled out and might have to use a ( heli-coil ) in the threads to make it back to a 6 mm .. so one can use the 6 mm bolts again..
I am not sure that this is such a task that you might want to try it yourself,,

Now ,if there still is some threads sticking out of the block , then it might be removed without having to drill anything ..

The idea of taking a picture and posting it here was a great suggestion , hope that you can do so,, It would clarify a lot of things for us

Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 AM

from what i understood he stripped the head of one of the bolts on the valve cover, but im not really sure.

if you have a drill you can buy an extractor set from sears for about $7.

It should come with some instructions.

You can find out whether a bolt is stripped (or 'rounded off') if it has a flat top (no + or - indentation where a screwdriver goes) and goes in what looks like a circle with a slight hexagon look to it. The "sides" of the bolt head (the part at the top) would have some shiny-ness in striped pattern around the sides.

or, when the engine is cold look at the large horizontal box in the center of the engine. There are black bolts all around it, that have a hexagon-shaped top. look for the one that doesnt look too hexagon-ish. That will be the on you have to remove.