General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1995 A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Honda Accord 1995 A/C compressor

Honda Accord 1995 Lx V6 4D;

I have a problem with my A/c; Till last week it works fine after that it started blowing heat air. So I pumped R134 into the cylinder but it doesn't make any difference. After couple of days, Compressor wheel also stopped spinning (Belt tear out). I tried to spin the wheel manually in all possible ways, but there is no use. I released all the R134 from the cylinder. Now there is no gas.
I don't know what's the problem is (clutch, bearing or compressor).

Any help is really appreciated

Thanks.

Mad man

Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Welcome New Member

I moved this post to this forum for you..Please post in the correct forums.

Thank You for joining the HAF...

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1995 A/C compressor-wtcbefore9%7E11.jpg  
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Something caused the compressor pulley to stop spinning and seize up.

You should never blindly add R134a to an a/c system, because you may have done more damage to the system. The original a/c problem may be present after you repair the compressor pulley.

It may be cheaper to buy the compressor, clutch, and pulley. The Denso version is $235 on amazon. You can probably pick on up a junkyard for cheaper.

If you take apart the system, I would replace all the o-rings. Then you would have to evacuate the system, make sure it hold a vacuum, then charge the system to the proper level.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think I did damage to my compressor by adding R134.
So you are saying its always better to get a new compressor than to repair the old one.
"It may be cheaper to buy the compressor, clutch, and pulley." If I buy a compressor, It comes with clutch and pulley. right?
If I buy a new compressor, still it needs o-rings and "evacuate the system" ?

Thanks.

Mad man

Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would get a new compressor if yours is seized and replace the dryer bottle then recharged system and go from there.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello Kris,
Thanks. Actually I am a newbie.
Basically, you are recommending to get a new compressor. so that i don't need any clutch or pulley. right?
Do I have to change the dryer bottle (you mean accumulator) also?
Can I do all this myself?

Thanks.

Mad man

Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem could be just a frozen pulley bearing or a seized compressor. It would be simpler to just replace them all. The Denso compressor has the compressor, pulley, and clutch all new.

The accumulator is also called a receiver/dryer is below the battery. When you remove, pour some of the oil out to see if there is any metal shavings from internal damage to the compressor.

If this was my a/c system, I would replace all the o-rings throughout the system, since you will have it taken apart. The o-rings get brittle over time and can cause leaks. Install new ones and use Nylog or equivalent to keep the o-rings lubricated. This would require removing the evaporator from under the passenger dash which isn't too difficult to do. It will give you a chance to remove the debris trapped in there and replace those o-rings as well.

When you have the system back together, you need to pull a vacuum on it to remove any air, then charge with the proper amount of R134a. You may want to have the charging done by a shop.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The accumulator or dryer bottle is pretty much a filter and is good to change after a compressor failure. I think changing the O rings is good in theory but could be quite challenging to replace on an old Accord, but if you have to have a shop recharge your AC and an O ring is bad you will be paying twice. I got a new Denso compressor for my 2003 and it came with everything and was exactly the same as what I took off. It was cheaper than some of the rebuilt ones I ran across. From Honda I would have had to buy the compressor plus the clutch and assemble it. You still have to determine if you need a new compressor and not just a clutch but overcharging the system I would think the compressor would have a good chance of damage. I don’t know your skill level and you have to deal with the Freon that is in the system currently to change out the compressor.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your help
when I tried to figure the parts, it was more complicated than I expect. I will try to do again this weekend again after reading all the theory ;-) one more time.

Mad man