General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Default Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!

Hope someone can help.
i have a 95 Honda accord with no heat. I have tried flushing the heater core with water and pressure air like four times from both hoses and it looks like its clean, i replaced the thermostat. the the valve that's connected to the heater core hose open and closes, the flap under the dashboard open and closes but no heat. when i touch the hose connected to the heater core it's cold.
when i unplugged the hose from the heater core where the valve is there is no antifreeze coming out. please help!!!!

Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Did this start happening suddenly, or was it gradual loss of heat?

Can you verify that the heater valve works by removing, then open the valve, and pour water through? Try the same thing with the valve turned off.

This is further down the line, but how long has it been since the water pump (usually changed when the timing belt is replaced) was replaced?

Do you have any overheating problems with your car?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Thanks for reply.
the valve open and closes, we tested it when we flushed the heater core. the car was parked for a while but it was working before, i got it running this summer. i havent change the water pump. but since the car is not overheating and the pump is not leaking or making any noise i didnt think it was necessary.

Does the antifreeze flows through which hose first? the hose with the valve is empty but the other has antifreeze and it feels a bit warm. But again when i flushed it with a garden hose the water flow fine both ways.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Empty? Sounds like you either have a block in the heater core (but you flushed it) or a ton of air in the system.

Have you removed all of the air out of the cooling system using the bleeder screw?

According to the "description" from the junk manual I have, the hose with the valve is called the inlet.

Don't worry with the "paint markings" in this pic, must have been from something else I was trying to help with

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!-5th-gen-heater-hoses.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 11-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:10 AM

I haven't tried bleeding it yet. sorry for the stupid question. when is the screw and how do i do that? engine should be running? I though once the car is running the air should come out.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

The bleeder is on the t-stat housing, where the lower hose connects to the engine.

How, using my method - others may say differently.

Car not running. Set the heat to max, your 5th gen is totally cable driven so no need to turn the key to on (not start, just to on/pos II). Remove the rad cap, open the bleeder. You can remove the bleeder all the way and be sure the little hole is not clogged.

Fill the rad - SLOWLY - until a steady stream of coolant is coming out of the bleeder. Close the bleeder.

Put the cap back on - ONLY TO THE FIRST CLICK, WARNING. You do this so pressure will not build in the system.

Start the car and let it run until the fans cycle at least once. Of course keep an eye on the temp gauge.

Remove cap - AGAIN, WARNING - THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PRESSURE SINCE THE CAP WAS ONLY ON THE FIRST CLICK. Hot coolant under pressure will burn you. Top off coolant in the rad and double check the overflow.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up

Great Answer there Scott...Have A Good Thanksgiving dinner today..

Angelo
below is Italian ThanksGiving Meal..Yummy.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!-96.jpg  
Old 11-28-2013, 02:24 PM

The problem is under the dashboard. not sure what it is and how to fix it yet. but it has to do with the unit that closes an open when you turn the hot to cold *** on the dashboard. i was able to get it to hot air but when you turn the *** back and forth it blows cold air again.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Sounds the heater mix door cable.You can look under there and unhook the cable,and push the sliding rod to fully open on the HOT side.My cable is broken at the top near the **** at the dash,I mean,its still hooked up but it doesnt slide properly,and does not open or close the mix door correctly under the dash where its hooked up.

I unhooked the cable from the bottom lever.and was opening and closing the door lever down there by hand this summer,to make it even colder in the car using the a/c.The cable wasnt able to push the mix door closed all the way shut,and was letting heat sneak in through.I had to push it shut by hand.

Same concept with the winter time,if the mix door wont let the heat in,its gonna stay cold.Make sure that door is moving correctly.Best wishes!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

There is a process called "blend door adjustment".

I'd also pull the **** and be sure the plastic shaft of the **** isn't broken....they can break and you turn the **** "all the way" but the cable only moves a small amount or none.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!-5th-gen-blend-door.jpg  

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 1995 NO HEAT!!!