General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honda accord 1995 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default honda accord 1995 will not start

my honda accord 1995 wont start..
I put a soundclip on youtube here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Yde...ature=youtu.be

ive charged the battery and tried jumper cables , does not help.....

the day before it happened I washed my car, and I also did a bit of cleaning under the car with the hose...I dont know if this has anything to do with it..

any ideas?

Last edited by funkyguy; 05-11-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Default no start

From the sound you need to do a compressin test. First take the plugs out look for a wet plug or plugs. Do the comp. test if all is good try a new set of plugs You may have a dead hole or 2 Or the cyl walls may be washed down from the unburned fuel so if test is bad try a little oil in the cyl. and retest Oh yea when plugs are out check for spark

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by joec44
From the sound you need to do a compressin test. First take the plugs out look for a wet plug or plugs. Do the comp. test if all is good try a new set of plugs You may have a dead hole or 2 Or the cyl walls may be washed down from the unburned fuel so if test is bad try a little oil in the cyl. and retest Oh yea when plugs are out check for spark
Don't follow this advice. ^^^

Joe - his car was running fine before he washed under his hood. Washing under the hood will not ever in any way cause the car to lose compression.

OP - you need to find out if you have both fuel and spark.

For fuel turn the key to the second position and you should hear a whirl from the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds

See if you have that then report back.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That sound is caused by cross-firing; spark plug fires when spark jumps from one wire/tower to wrong lead. This produces spark at wrong time and engine sounds wierd (fighting itself).

Sometimes WD40 sprayed on inside of distributor cap and spark plug wires will temporarily fix the problem. New distirbutor cap, rotor, and wires may be necessary for permanent fix. It may fail you on a wet rainy day.

You could start w/ distirbutor cap/rotor and check again by spraying wires w/ fine mist of water while engine is running. Missing and spark flying (if viewed at night) indicate leaky spark plug wires that should be replaced.

good luck

Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by crispin

For fuel turn the key to the second position and you should hear a whirl from the fuel pump for 2-3 seconds

See if you have that then report back.
yes, I hear a whirl from the fuel pump....

someone told me I might have to replace the startermortor to fix this...you think that will fix it?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Humor me and try spraying inside of distributor cap and wires w/ heavy dose of WD40. Wait a few mins and try to start.

Starter is working fine.

good luck

Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Listen to TexasHonda he knows what he is talking about.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Humor me and try spraying inside of distributor cap and wires w/ heavy dose of WD40. Wait a few mins and try to start.

Starter is working fine.

good luck
I did that...did not work

now the car makes a machine-gun noise when turning the key...I guess its because the battery is weak?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Yes, the battery will need to be recharged.

Did you notice any water in the distributor?

good luck

Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the distribitor was dry...
what to try next?
by the way, my neighbour took a look at the car, and he pulled out those sparkplugcovers...there was oil in one of the cylinders where the spark plug is placed

Quick Reply: honda accord 1995 will not start