General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 1998 having trouble start up at times

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Default Honda Accord 1998 having trouble start up at times

So i recently bought a 1998 Honda Accord here are the specs

-v-tec 4 cylinder
-2.3 engine
-4 door sedan
-Ex

So I bought this white Accord about 1 month ago and it came with a few
bad parts and problems.

The main problem is it will just shut down completely when driving at times (happened 2 times and a 3rd time when parking).

When i bought it , it had a cracked radiator, cracked front windshield, bad breaks/rotors,non working horn, and from my understanding the EGR passage way was fully clogged.

After scanning for codes I bought a new radiator, cleaned out the EGR passageway (because i got the the p0401 code) due to insufficient airflow.

Now it still turns off randomly and it won't want to start back up again unless you give it time or press on the gas while you turn the ignition. I scanned it again and no codes are found.

However, it does need a transmission flush, and I rarely use this car and probably won't use it frequent until i fix this problem.

P.S It did have plenty of gasoline (unleaded) so I doubt that could have been it. And no check engine lights just a SRS light which i was told is the airbag system.

Anybody deal with something as similar or identical?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Young_&_Fly_
The main problem is it will just shut down completely when driving at times (happened 2 times and a 3rd time when parking).

Now it still turns off randomly and it won't want to start back up again unless you give it time or press on the gas while you turn the ignition. I scanned it again and no codes are found.

However, it does need a transmission flush, and I rarely use this car and probably won't use it frequent until i fix this problem.
Need to narrow down fuel or spark? When it dies, first notice which or what lights on the dash are on-oil, alt, ect.....then when you go to re-start, turn the key to on watch the cel and listen for the fuel pump to prime for ~3 seconds and then the light should go off....or travel with a can of tb cleaner and spray that directly into the TB and see if it starts.

Happen to have a timing light? Can use that to check for spark....it has longer leads so it can be a one person job. There are other tests for spark but doing this by yourself on the side of the road can be tricky.

EDIT: forgot the trans....IMO a "flush" should not be done. Instead, a drian and fill of the trans, PLEASE use Honda fluid only. If if is past due for this than two or three drain and fill cycles might be needed.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-07-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

When the engine is running, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key?