General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord 2000 automatic gear timing belt broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Default Honda Accord 2000 automatic gear timing belt broke

Hello, I am a new bee here in this forum, I don't know how to explain and what to explain. But yesterday I had a problem with my accord 2000 LX. I just start my car and put it out of the parking then I hear a sound that looks like the tyre was burst but the car was moving and it remain on, but slow down and then I stopped the car and shutdown the engine. When I check the engine, the timing belt was broken and all the engine oil was leaked out. Now I don't know what to do, and what might be the problem and how much it could cost me. Please help me to sort out this problem.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

You have to remove the valve cover then the timing belt cover to see the timing belt. Are you sure the broken belt is the timing belt, or is it one of the belts for the power steering pump or the alternator belt?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You have to remove the valve cover then the timing belt cover to see the timing belt. Are you sure the broken belt is the timing belt, or is it one of the belts for the power steering pump or the alternator belt?
Yes, I have check it, and even a mechanic told me that two belts are broken. The timing belt and the ac belt. But in response he also told me that change the engine. Now when I called some other people they are telling that the main pulley might be broken only. The engine is safe.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:25 AM

Your engine is probaby ruined. These Honda engines are not non interference engines.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Might also need a new or rebuild head.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't make sense....
I've seen drive belts break and get under the timing cover and cause problems with the T-belt; but the oil all leaking out?? Never heard that story.

What caused the oil to leak out??

If you shut down the engine within a few minutes of the oil running out, I would try to keep the engine,test for bent valves, and find out WHY the oil leaked out.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hac2000
. When I check the engine, the timing belt was broken and all the engine oil was leaked out.

Thanks
A couple of things........First off is engine a 4 or 6 cylinder ??

2...> How did you chk that the timing belt was broken ??

3 ,, you said 2 belts are broken,, are you sure that it is not the alt and p/s belt??

4..where is the engine oil leak at ?? frt driver side ?? back of engine ??

5.. you said car was running and you shut down the engine..........if timing belt broke, engine would die at the spot,, so ,that tells me that timing belt did not brake..

6... like DUDE ,,, i have never seen a timing belt brake and cause a massive oil leak...........are you sure that it was engine oil ???

I would get all the facts straight and let us know what actually happen and what broke and where the oil leak is at ,,,that way we can give you more proper suggestions ,, better yet take some pictures and post them

Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
A couple of things........First off is engine a 4 or 6 cylinder ??

2...> How did you chk that the timing belt was broken ??

3 ,, you said 2 belts are broken,, are you sure that it is not the alt and p/s belt??

4..where is the engine oil leak at ?? frt driver side ?? back of engine ??

5.. you said car was running and you shut down the engine..........if timing belt broke, engine would die at the spot,, so ,that tells me that timing belt did not brake..

6... like DUDE ,,, i have never seen a timing belt brake and cause a massive oil leak...........are you sure that it was engine oil ???

I would get all the facts straight and let us know what actually happen and what broke and where the oil leak is at ,,,that way we can give you more proper suggestions ,, better yet take some pictures and post them
Thanks for the replies.
First answer the engine is 4 cylinder
Second answer It's near the right side of the engine the top one belt, means above the ac compressor, the motor was there but no belt.
The belt for the ac compressor was broken as I know the location of the ac compressor as I changed the compressor a few days earlier.
For the engine oil I didn't see any leak, only what I see is that all the engine oil was leaked out exactly where the car was stoped and exactly where the engine is mounted and also when I check the fuel guage, it was showing no engine oil, and even just a few days earlier, I changed the oil filter and engine oil. So how come the guage showing no engine oil.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

The timing belt is not visible. It's located INSIDE the plastic covers. It sounds like you have both external drive belts broken. Those belts drive the alternator, airconditioner, and power-steering. The accessory that's highest up on the engine is the power-steering pump.

So then the oil leak is still a problem. You mention the fuel gauge - that's confusing. You check oil with the dipstick in the engine.

Is it possible that the oil filter gasket from the OLD filter was stuck to the engine? The new gasket would not fit properly & let all the oil leak out. What about the oil drain plug coming loose?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Could the OP be seeing power steering fluid, mistaken for oil?

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 2000 automatic gear timing belt broke