General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honda accord 94-97 will not start-my whole story

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
shellenz
Unregistered
Default honda accord 94-97 will not start-my whole story

I have an automatic honda accord f22b2 that ran fine for the first two years I've owned it except for replacing the starter. It also shifts hard and has close to 200k, mostly highway miles. After a side impact I stopped driving it and it's been sitting for about a year. Every now and then I start it just to make sure it runs. I finally decided to put it back on the road and the first day it drove fine. The next day I filled the tank and it was still ok. Then I noticed the transmission would not shift past 2nd gear. I continued to drive it for a while with the rpms way up. It didn't make it home and I had to tow. It was still cranking but nothing. I assumed it was fuel related and did the easy procedures-listening to the fuel pump and the click from the relay. I even switched out the relay with another from my f22b1 manual. After searching for more information I found out the map sensor could be part of the problem. I also read that theres another fuel pump relay somewhere but failed to mention where it's located. I haven't replaced any wires but I noticed two of the spark plugs were soaked in oil. This has never caused the car to not start and I usually take them out and clean them. Could it be a coil? I know there are many things I could try out first like replacing the wires and distributer and fuel filter and etc. But I'm sure it would start if I could eliminate the one reason causing this problem since it has been so reliable in the past. There is also a clicking noise on the right side of the transmission and something else is clicking by the throttle body. I even tried starting fluid and it won't start. The engine light turns off but the oil light stays on and sometimes the battery light too. Someone please guide me in the right direction.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: honda accord 94-97 will not start-my whole story

The is only one relay for the fuel pump and its the main fuel relay.

As for the no-start, the problem is from either a lack of fuel or lack of spark. If you can get a timing light, hook that up, and see if there is enough spark generated to flash the light. Alternatively, you can ground the threads to a spark plug on the engine block and have someone try to start the car. You should see a bright white/blu spark.

You said that you hear the fuel pump to turn on, so the main fuel relay is ok. The starting fluid test basically eliminates a fuel problem.

A faulty sensor would set a code stored in your ECU. Open ACC 5th gen... thread in the DIY section and use that link. There is a writeup with pics on how to get the ECU CEL code(s), plus the shop manual for a 94 is there in pdf form (broken into chapters) at the bottom.

As for the oil leak, if the oil was on top of the spark plugs (where the wires attach) the upper seals of the valve cover gasket are leaking. You can pick up a replacement set at autozone. You will have to use RTV Grey gasket on the bends. That shop manual will have that info in there and show you where to use that gasket sealer.

Good Luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Look in the DIY section for info on testing the coil and distributor. If it cranks and starter fluid doesn't do anything, there's a real good chance that you have no spark.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
shellenz
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. Just after posting I found a site that shows (in pictures) how to test the plugs and etc. If there is spark, does that mean the distributor is ok?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

No, it just means that you have spark. Timing could still be off, seals could be shot ....

Old 09-19-2008, 05:56 PM
shellenz
Unregistered

What about the MAP sensor?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

It still could be a spark problem. I was involved in a thread where a guy saw a spark, and we found out after a ton of fuel tests that the spark generated would not cause a timing light to flash. It ended up being a problem with the coil.

You still need to verify a fuel problem.

So far, it seems that you are having a fuel delivery problem. You should pick up a can of starting fluid and spray it in at the throttle plate and have someone else try to start the car. If the car fires up for a second, then fuel delivery is the problem (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, or fuel filter).