General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda accord stalls and does not always start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Default Honda accord stalls and does not always start

Hi Guys

I have a 2000 honda accord 2.0 auto that does not start from time to time and stalls sometimes whilst I am driving.

In the morning when I put the key in the ignition and turn one position, I usually see all the red light and also see the key and engine management light. If alll the lights are on the car starts first time and does not stall at all during the day.

When in ingition position and all the red lights are on but the green key and engine management lights do not come on and I try to crank over the car does not start. If I wait a minute or two the same two lights flicker and come on. Some times the seepdo jumps in this idle position and I can see the number 3 on the dashboard. Then when the two mentioned lights go off I can start the car.

I have taken it to two different garages and they both changed the ignition switch but it has not done the trick. I have gone back and they gave me the labour cost back but cannot help. wont help, so here I am. Any suggestions guys??? Its freaks me out when it stall on the motorway and does not start!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome another new member from UK (right?)

Changing the ignition switch would have been my first guess, but you've done that. Twice.

Sounds like it might be the main relay, except that normally doesn't cause a running car to stall.

Turn the key to the ON position & listen for the main relay clicking. Here's it's above the driver's left knee, but over there I don't know if they mirror all that & put it above your right knee?? Search by the sound. One click to start the fuel pump, 2 seconds later another click to stop the fuel pump.

Got a soldering iron? Pop open the case of the main relay & re-melt the solder on the printed-circuit board. That's the fix for the "normal" failure of that relay.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Default Honda accord stalls and does not always start

Hi

Yes I am in the UK. Firstly thanks for your response

I guess you are right about the main relay as it should not stall the car?

Maybe the two switch replaced were both faulty?

How can I test the switch?

Is it possible that the ECU is faulty? I say this due to the issue of the engine management light

Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

I guess it could still be the switch, but 2 bad ones? Especially since the swich USUALLY fails after use, not out of the box. Were they used switches from junkyard?

I don't have a wiring drawing for that car, but there should only be 3 circuits through that switch.
Accessories = closed at positions "ACC" & "RUN"
Ignition & EFI = closed at positions "RUN" & "START"
Starter = closed only at position "START"

I never really understood a good reason WHY a bad main relay would not stall a running car, that's just the way everyone says it happens. For me, that's not a good reason to rule it out as a possible problem.

Looking at your description of the "key" lamp, I wonder if it's the immobilizer? In USA our cars have a small antenna near the ignition switch, that picks up an RFID chip in the key. Loose or flaky connection to that antenna? Honda traditionally uses that to lock out the fuel, so it would still crank the starter. But I'm not sure if the Swindon cars are set up that same way.