General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda accord 98 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Default Honda accord 98 transmission problem

Greetings

I have a honda accord 98 EX I4 automatic transmission. My transmission died last week and I would like to know if a shift kit is recommended to last clutch life. I saw old clutches that were made with asbestos that last longer but asbestos cause cancer and that’s why they are no longer using it. Now clutches look like if they were made with paper sheet. What are the best clutches and part out there to rebuild this transmission?

Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Not meaning to be a jerk or anything, but if you don't already know the answer to the question then you prolly aren't qualified to rebuild the trans. Honda automatics are completely different in theory and operation to just about every other company. I have heard it said that they aren't bad to work on, but that they are extremely complicated and that was from a professional trans rebuilder.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:51 PM

It has been several years since I rebuilt an automatic transmission but there are really two kinds of rebuild: clutch/friction material renewal; and full rebuild. If the bearings and accumulators, etc. are OK, the clutch and plate replacements are pretty simple (at least they used to be). If the control side is messed up or any of the actuators, accumulators, etc. are questionable it really calls for an expert. The "best" material for rebuild is whatever Honda specifies - to use anything else is just asking for problems. A factory rebuilt transmission is expensive but comes with a warranty. On the other hand, it might be possible to buy a later model (i.e., 2003 or later) used transmission for less than the cost of a rebuild. I have no idea whether the newer transmission will work with the ECM nor do I know if the harness and attachment points will work, but, if mine dies, I intend to try a later-model replacement if I can make it work.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM

I’m not thinking to rebuild this transmission by myself because I know it’s complicated. I’m sending it to a friend who charge me around 800$ to rebuild it. I were seriously thinking to place a used transmission but I don’t know how long it will last and probably end up like mines any time soon. I really don’t want to get rid of my car coz I like this model and it’s like a charm on roads. Hook if u try a newer transmission and works, let me know so later I can consider it too.

Regards

Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Have to use a 1998-2002 4-cyl trans. Problem is, that's the range of years for auto-tranny problems.

Beginning in 2003 the 4-cylinder engine is completely different & the transmission will NOT fit. In fact, the engine spins the opposite way and is located in the opposite end of the engine bay.