General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Passport Help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Default Honda Passport Help???

I don't know what section to post this in so feel free to move it where it needs to be.

My buddy has a 2000 Honda Passport with a problem that maybe one of you knows how to fix? Here is what is happening. The car starts fine...the car runs fine for a while then dies. After waiting for about 5-10 minutes the car will restart and he can drive a little distance further, and then it dies again. It runs GREAT while it is running, but then dies suddenly and will not re-start right away, but if you wait 5-10 minutes like I said, it will start and run great again until the next time it cuts out.

He took it to an electrical shop here in town and they said they have no idea. All his filters are fine.

Any ideas folks? Thank you

peace out,
daddy

Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Honda Passport Help???

Defiantly a fuel/main relay and or both problem. Electrical shop checked the fuel pump?

Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever a car doesn't start, you typically have either a lack of spark or lack of fuel. You need to diagnose first.

I would first take the car to someplace like autozone and have the codes scanned. Post the numbers here (P####).

Check that all the battery cables are clean and secure at all ends.

You have to diagnose the problem when the car is not starting.

A quick check for fuel:

Have your buddy turn the key to the II position (normal running position). You should hear several clicks, and you should also listen for the fuel pump to turn on for ~ 2 seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. You might want to listen with the gas cap off to hear it easier. If you don't hear the fuel pump turn on, then the problem is with either the fuel pump or the main fuel relay.

As for spark:

When the car is not starting, hook up a timing light (if you have one) to see if there is enough spark generated to flash the timing light. The alternative is to plug in a spare spark plug into a spark plug wire, ground the threads on the engine block and have him try to start the car. The spark should be a bright blue/white.

If you go to tegger.com and go to the faq link, a lot of this information is on there.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM

I will pass on your guys advice to him. Thanks for the input.

He seems to think it has to do with something getting hot then cooling down...such as the car starts and runs perfect, then dies when it gets hot. After waiting for a few it will finally restart again...maybe something cools down in that time??? Keep the ideas coming cause he is completley stuck. In the meantime I will have him check your suggestions.

Thanks very much

peace out,
daddy

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

The main fuel relayalmost kindafits that. The common problem is cracked solder joints on the circuit board in the relay, they open the circuit (shut off power) to the fuel pump.

Normally that happens only when the interior is very hot (parked in the summer sun) & you can start the car after opening doors & allowing it to cool. But maybe his relayis just flaky enough to shut off the fuel while driving??

Old 11-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the experts here don't help you sort it out, try this website:

www.planetisuzoo.com

great group of guys there, since you're essentially driving a an isuzu rodeo. ask me how I know.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

AWWW SHOOT! I knew its an Isuzu cause my brother had one. I gotta remember to engage the brain before I post. Sorry about misleading you to the main relay...